In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RL-17 for 6.5x55

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
In a recent conversation with Bob Baker(Freedom Arms), he mentioned that at least one of his customers was having success loading the 6.5x55 single shot using RL-17. Apparently, they were shooting it at 1000 yds at Raton. I have since found a supply of that powder.

Anyone here ever used this powder for this or a similar caliber?

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wtroper,

40.5 gr. of RE-17 behind a 140 gr. Sierra or 140 gr. Berger for about 2750 out of my rifle. Start work up from 36 gr.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Sandwarrior. Will try get a few loaded & try them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior,

I had the opportunity to shoot a few 6.5s loaded with RL-17 on Sunday. Conditions were not ideal, too windy. The chrono was held in place with sandbags & I was able to get some readings that I hope are reliable. I loaded 38-41 grs behind Horanady 140s. However, I need to redo this & make sure that my readings were good.

In the FA single shot the 40 gr load was doing about 2265 and the 41 gr load was producing about 2300 fps with no real signs of excess pressure.

In your tests, what is the length of the bbl of your 6.5x55? Also, did you go higher than the 40.5 gr?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wtroper,

I did. My brain blipped though, the 2750 was with 43.5 gr. not 40.5 gr. as I originally gave you. And yes that is above what is published in most places you can find it. No one really publishes any decent pressure loads for the 6.5x55.

With RE-17 I would keep pushing it upwards until you start to see erratic velocities. Then back it down. You will see those erratic velocities long before you see pressure signs. With RE-17 you should never ever get to the point of blowing primers.

I have to say for midsized calibers this is one of the greatest things to come along for powders. I'll also say I've had little luck with it in either the WSM or WSSM cases for which it was hoped to work well in.

Edit:

I was getting higher velocities from the Sierra's in given load weights. Longer body, more surface, increasing pressure I presume.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good info. Will inch them up easily. I have seen "internet data" up to 44 gr. However, I did not really know the source.

If I can get it up to around 2400 & it is accurate, I will be satisfied.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    wtroper,

With the RE-17 it's a little different than any other powder. As you may know a lot of powders are coated today, with a retardant. That basically allows the maker to make a faster powder, then slow it down chemically to the burn rate it had before. (no sense in naming a bunch of new powders). This is more successful than things done in the past. It also helps with temp variations.

With RE-17 the retardant is not coated on, but rather mixed in with the powder itself. Giving a much more flexible top end. What people have to see is the natural top end not the top end of the forgiveness range.
    Meaning the powder burns like it normally does until it hits a high pressure or temperature situation. The retardant does exactly what it's name implies. It retards the burn, so you don't get an overpressure situation. You will see when you get into that range above normal operation for the powder when you start seeing erratic velocities. You can still push this powder too high. But, it has a lot more room than older powders to overload. Overloading isn't good from an accuracy standpoint as I mention in my last post that the velocities start becoming erratic.
    You will see this on your chrono long before you see pressure signs on your cases. With the erratic velocities, group sizes also enlarge.

So, bottom line, you don't need to hold back at 2400. You should be able to go well above 2600 and maybe as high as I have. Just watch for those signs. I hope that explains this powder a little better.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior,

I got to shoot a little more on Sat. Redid the 41 gr & worked up to your load (43.5) all with the Hornady 140. 41 gr averaged 2314, 42 averaged 2367, 43 jumped to 2471 & 43.5 averaged 2510.

At 43 gr the action was beginning to feel sticky (not wanting to open easily). At 43.5 is was difficult to open.

I consider 43 & higher too much for this gun. I am tempted to try 42.5 gr; however, the 42 gr load shot well, the action on the gun worked easily, and the load is plenty accurate for me. In addition, the max spread in velocity on the five shots that I tested was 10 fps. I think I will just stay with 42 grs for this gun.

Thanks for your help.

Edit: The construction of the FA single shot and the taper on the 6.5x55 case create an "opening problem" with the pistol before reaching max pressures, IMHO. When the case "sets back," the opening mechanism will not release the bbl from the frame. Bob Baker told me that I should expect this from this case. A case with less taper tends to "grip the sides" of the chamber better, as I am sure that you understand. Even with the 43.5 gr load when I could not open it by hand, simply lowering the muzzle & dropping the hammer a couple of times on the empty case provided enough forward movement of the case to allow the gun to be opened. However, for a hunting gun I would not opt to use a load that required messing around to open the gun.

Likely, the real solution will be when FA decides to rechamber 6.5x55 bbls to AI. I expect that to solve the problem. In the interim, I do not feel handicapped with the 42 gr load.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wtroper,

Good deal. Stay with what works. Having a little less velocity is better than high velocity but not being able to reload the gun.