In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My new Henry rifles........

Maximus4427Maximus4427 Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
Tried it out this morning. Gun functioned perfectly but my old eyes can't see the sights very well. I need to get some sort of a peep sight in place of the Buckhorn rear sight. Either that or I'll put a scope on it.[:(]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I ordered a ghost ring rear sight from Midway. It clamps onto the grooved receiver. Hope it works out.[8D]
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes they are very fine weapons. However the sights are hard to manage. So far I just took the front sight which is a brass rod and painted the back end bright orange. Helps a little. The sights are small. Now on my marlin it has a hooded front sight and this does help out a lot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Some of the Henry's have the hooded front sight and I can see the sights better on those. I can see the front sight on the buckhorn setup but the rear sight is all blurred. As a result, I can't hit poop.[V] I do like the Henry overall. In fact I just ordered another, this one in 22 mag caliber. [:D]
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same problem with an old mauser of mine awhile back. [:0] Peep site did the trick. [:)] Accurate as can be, just doesn't magnify much! [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I own a goldenboy. I would like to upgrade the sights. But since the receiver is brass. How would I make this thing better for an old mans eyes? I am not much in knowledge when it comes to sights and scopes. So help me out on this one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44shotdoctor
    So I own a goldenboy. I would like to upgrade the sights. But since the receiver is brass. How would I make this thing better for an old mans eyes? I am not much in knowledge when it comes to sights and scopes. So help me out on this one.

Take a look at the Williams WGRS sight. The Midway number is:#496762. I have mine on order but have not received it yet. I hope it works.[8D]
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I have a marbles tang site for my
    Henry golden boy.Helps significantly
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If the sight from Midway doesn't work our I will try a tang peep sight (Marbles). The one from Midway is dirt cheap.

Meanwhile I tried out my Henry Carbine this morning. It has a different sight setup from the Buckhorn sights on the Octagon brl rifle. I found the carbine sights much easier to see and I was actually able to hit what I aimed at. Meanwhile I have another coming tomorrow. It is a 22 mag. I think it has the carbine type sights on it. I'm trying to stick with iron sights on all of them.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys. Will check them out right now and let you all know.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Replaced the rear sight on two of these rifles. I left the carbine as is since I can see the sight picture better than the others. I dug thru my junk box and found some with the same dovetail and installed same. I will try them this way when I get a chance.[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Replaced the barrel band with a brass band from Henry. Looks really good.[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can't make the sights I have work for me. I will order a peep for one gun and a set of 22 rings for the other. These guns are too neat not to use. I like them![8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Installed the Williams peep setup that clamps on the rail. Easily done and looks good. Assuming that it sights in OK I ordered 2 more of these for my other Henry rifles.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Definetly need a taller front sight on these to use the Williams peep setup. Ordered same from Midway.[V]