In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Varget and .308

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
Has anyone here tried a load with Varget and Nosler 125 gr. ballistic tips (#30125)in a .308?

Comments

• Options
    cookiemeistercookiemeister Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't tried it with 125gr. But I use it all the time with 168gr and 175gr in .308
    Read some of the customer comments about it at www.deadeyeammo.com in the customer comment section.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B17-P51,

The shorter, lighter bullets didn't do as well with the Varget until we started compressing the load as suggested by Hodgdon in their data. This means that Varget is a little slow and inefficient for the bullet/case capacity. We were using the 2.700" OAL for seating.

I have had best luck with Accurate 2015 and Re-10x in my rifles that we used for testing. However, the Hodgdon data site has a good selection of loads featuring their powders along with IMR and Winchester.

Best.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I like varget and as you mentioned, it does well with heavier bullets. It works well for me in 22-250 with 55 gr pills. Also.308 with 150's and up. Here is a great load with 110 gr in .308 with Sierras http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html Oddly enough this load will shoot.600" groups from my rifle.I was just wondering if the versatile powder could be used for 125-130 gr bullets, just didnt know where to start. I am having some luck playing with AA2230, AA2520 and W748.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Varget is wayyyy too slow for that light pill. Now 44.5gr under a 168gr a-max and you have something to brag about,..at least in mine.

I used N140 under a 125gr NBT in the 30-06 and had GREAT accuracy.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    B17-P51,

The 125 BT is a little longer than the Sierra Spitzer chosen by Hodgden as an example so I would start with a Varget load of 45.0 gr. and work up slowly from there. You might find two accuracy nodes in the span of allowable loads. I would emphasize care when approaching their MAX loads as this will be in the very upper reaches of the pressure curve.

We used the 125 BT as test bullets when we first played with the .30 BR about 17 years ago. This was long before Randy Robinette started making his terrific bullets for competition.

Best.