In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rifle dies...

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
Anyone have some good advice on rifle dies?

I've done a pretty good bit of pistol reloading and use a LEE 4-die Carbide set for everything...

Has LEE got similar sets for rifles and how well do they work?

Thanks in advance for any info... [;)]

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Lee rifle dies work fine.
    Get the set with a factory crimp die.
  • retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    The Lee rifle dies work fine.
    Get the set with a factory crimp die.

Is the setup and operation the same as the pistol sets?

Does the Factory crimp die resize like the straight wall pistol ones do?

Also, does the LEE dies use carbide or are they straight steel?

Thanks....... [;)]
  • cnsaycnsay Member Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rifle dies are all steel. Only strait wall calibers are available with carbide. So the cases will need a light coating of lube to prevent problems.
  • bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Does the Factory crimp die resize like the straight wall pistol ones do?"
    No. And, in my experience, most rifle calibers do not need a crimp. Large calibers, heavy bullets may need a crimp and there are some that feel a crimp may aid uniform results, but your cases would need to be trimmed every time to have perfectly uniform crimping.
    I get excellent results without crimping up to 300WM calibers. YMMV
    About the only drawback on Lee rifle dies is the lock ring design - it uses an o-ring and you can't lock it to your setting. The lock rings can be replaced, or you can just set up the dies every time.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you unscrew the lee dies and only touch the lock ring the setting will not be affected.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use a magic marker to put index marks on the Lee lock ring and the die body. Line them up and snug up with a wrench and I'm good to go! Of course you can always drill and tap the side of the lock ring for a set screw.

I like the delux set that includes the collet neck sizer.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a big fan of the Lee Collet Neck die. It puts a consistent tension all the way around the neck, and by adjusting the depth a quarter turn deaper of the die, it will literally keep it tight enough that I've never needed a crimp die, even in my AR.

Bang for the buck, you really can't beat a Lee die set. But if I were buying a set of dies, I would get a set of RCBS compeition dies, a seperate Lee Collet Neck die. That way you can full length size for range pickup brass or if your loading for semi-auto's, but then you can also collect size the neck after your full size or if your using fire formed brass. I really like the ease of use that RCBS competition seating die has when both physically seating bullets or adjusting and tuning the seating depth.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself some quality dies . I recommend Redding , they have the best inside finish of any standard die and no stupid rubber ring to fuss with . In other words , when you reinstall them in your press they return to their previous adjustment every time !
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your that tight get some Hornady dies and 100 free bullets.