In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

338 lapua magnum

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
if i have a 300 win mag, could i change the barrel and make a 338 lapua mag? Just need a barrel swap rechambered? Any thoughts?

-JD

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82,

Not nearly enough information to give an intelligent response.

What type of firearm are you asking about?

The .338 Lapua is significantly longer and larger in diameter than the .300 Win. Mag. Not all actions can accommodate this cartridge.

Fill in the blanks and maybe we can arrive at a solution.

Best.

ADDED:

These are the correct dimensions with the SAAMI spec drawing added for clarity.

300winmag.gif338lapmagf.gif

These are NOT to scale but for dimension reference only.

Just because the RUM has the same rim dimension does not negate the need for increased magazine length and more importantly, a magazine with increased width and improving the feeding geometry. The RUM has a 0.550 head diameter making it a little more difficult to feed unless you use a special magazine box or a DBM system.

Best.

ADDED:

We in the gunmaking and reloading industry deal in SAAMI specifications, not exceptions to those specifications. That's why I show drawings and list current specs rather than confusing the issue with other variations. Each manufacturer has a range of variations in their components and cartridges but SAAMI and CIP are the guiding forces behind manufacturing specifications.

Shorter/lighter bullets will often yield a shorter OAL for a specific cartridge. Longer bullets such as the VLDs are often (custom) loaded longer and have to be accommodated by a longer throat and therefore a longer chamber in essence. Factory VLD cartridges maintain the SAAMI maximum specification for magazine length. Factory magazines are designed for SAAMI lengths also.

If you have a CZ that feeds both the RUM and the H&H in the same number of cartridges and smoothly, hang onto it because it is the exception. I've built more H&H rifles, along with every flavor of RUM and none of the factory magazines will feed the same number of RUM cartridges as the H&H nor will they feed as smoothly. In fact, Remington made special magazine boxes with triangular cutouts in both sides in order to accommodate the increase in the case diameters. Some aftermarket manufacturers use the same approach.

It's now easier to just convert the available appropriate long actions to use single stack, detachable box magazines with integral feed lips to negate the problems with standard magazine/rail feeding geometry.

Best.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 300WM has a loaded length of 3.340 and a .540 rim, while the 338L has a loaded length of 3.42x and a .585 rim (the Lapua is based on the 416 Rigby case).

Now, assuming your action / magazine can handle the extra length, the 338 RUM (based on the 404 Jeffery case) has the same diameter rim as your 300 Whinnie

To add to the above posters clarifacation (and I noted that the RUM's are longer than WM's) the dimentions I gave are off actual sample rounds, not SAAMI max specs. There is a difference, sometimes a substantal one.
    As far as feeding goes, my CZ action which was origionaly set up for the 375 H&H has no problems handling the RUM rounds (it's currently chambered for the 300 Tomahawk AKA 300 RUM Improved 35^)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am sorry for the thread. I should have done a little more research. I am looking for a cheap way to get 338LM and in my ignorance, it's unattainable. I will just save the money and get one eventually, or I will prolly get a 338 RUM, which is a more realistic cartridge to get. haha I apologize for my ignorance. Thanks for the responses!

-JD
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JD
    You arn't the first to ask, nor will you be the last, so don't worry about it.

IF your serious about building a LM, you could pick up a used rifle that was chambered for the 416 Rigby and rebarrel (or buy one already in 338L).
    If you decide to go with the RUM instead, there are a number of receivers that will work (anything that was built to handle the H&H family) will be able to handle the length and already have the bolt face. They may require some tweaking of the feed rails, but that's do-able. Or simply buy one that's already set up for the RUM
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82,

There is no need to apologize. It's a good question and needs to be discussed since there are probably more folks interested in this concept also.

There are no flies on the .338 RUM in comparison to the Lapua. The only real difference is in the name recognition and brass life to a small extent. Far too many folks desire to impress others with a name rather than performance. I shoot both and can vouch for the performance aspect. One of my Match rifles is a .338 RUM and holds its own against the overly impressionable Lapua shooters.

Everything about the RUM is less expensive and more readily available to the average shooter/reloader.

Enjoy the process!

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    so a 416 rigby needs to be rebarrelled and rechambered? I really appreciate you guys, I am fairly new to reloading and rifle building. I have a lot of little projects here and there. Soon to be a ar.....and a 338 LM or a 338 RUM...Thanks for all your help, I'll keep my eye out for a 416 Rigby. I love the ruger m77 and I know I could get one in a 416 rigby. I have 3 ruger m77 and have gotten amazing results! Thanks again for all your help!

-JD
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just read your post on the .338 Lupua and thought it was a good idea. I would like to build one myself and also have questions about where to find a reciver to handle the Lupua cartitage. I recently had the oppotunity to get a .338 Win Mag and took it and am very happy with it( alot of bang for the buck). Take care and let me know how it turns out, I am interested. If you find a .416 Rigby I would use it for what ever you was going to uas the Lupua for.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It will be a long while until i embrace that bridge....when i do set it up, ill post it but don't hold yer breath!!!! Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought the Remington 700 version at the beginning of the year. I thought THAT would be the cheap way to get into one.

After owning one for 6 months, I can honestly say that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY to get into a 338 Lapua Magnum cheap. The Remington 700P is probably the cheapest NIB rifle you can get chambered in the 338 LM. You are talking about $1300 for that. THEN you need to spend some cash on some good glass for it. Went to the Leupold Custom shop and spent ANOTHER $1300. Of course, you want to get some GOOD STRONG Leopold Mark 4 mounts and rings....say another $300. Now, if my higher math is correct, that's $2900 and I hadn't even fired a single shot!

The ammo is so affordable at an average of $75 for a box of 20, I was eager to get a set of RCBS dies ($35). I bought 100 rounds at the beginning to have the brass. That was $750. I still can't believe it, but I have 100 rounds of good brass. Even the once fired is expensive. A pound of powder is $25, and 100 bullets will run you about $50, depending on what you're gonna use.

Let me see.....hmmmmm.
    $1300 - Rifle
    $1300 - Scope
    $ 300 - Scope Mounts
    $ 750 - Ammo
    $ 35 - Dies
    $ 25 - Powder
    $ 50 - Bulletes
    $ 4 - Primers
    = $3764 for the whole deal and 200 shots

I don't care who you are, $3800 isn't the cheap way to get into anything, but I think that might be about the cheapest way I know of. I've got it - I like it, but you can't go wrong with the .338 Remington Ultra Mag.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the answer is......................338RUM, far cheaper, easier action mods, and every bit as strong[8]
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    the answer is......................338RUM, far cheaper, easier action mods, and every bit as strong[8]

+100

As some here know, I used to be set on the Lapua as well...I'll be getting a RUM built when I can afford to.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ran into a guy at a local gun store who was singing the blues about the Lapua he scrimped and saved a ton of money for.. and now can't afford to feed. I'm guessing that his gun-rich ammo-poor tune might become a regular thing with these types of really neat full to semi-custom super-sniper rigs and retro big-bore African boomers that are getting all the press lately.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bet it's costly! With 120 grains +/- of powder room inside the case, that's a lot of Retumbo or 8700 burned to send the bullet downrange.

This guy I bumped into said he paid $2,800 for a Lapua and a nice scope. Then he couldn't find local ammo for less than 85 bucks a box/20... when he could find it. I figured he could've gotten a Weatherby .340 with the same scope and gotten similar performance. Weatherby ammo also is expensive but maybe saving about 1k bucks on the gun/scope would make it hurt less...in the wallet of course, not on the shoulder. [:p]