In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38 S&W in yellowboy carbine?

jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
Has anyone tried shooting 38 S&W in 38 special lever rifle?
Reloads, 158gr cast/3gr unique. Would this not make a nice quiet inexpensive plinking round. The short 38S&W should hold a light charge better than the longer 38 special case? Anyone done this....I am about to .

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 38S&W has a larger base diameter than the 38spl does, and it's unlikly that you will even be able to chamber them.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As said, the .38 S&W has a larger nominal O.D. than .38 Special. I have seen them to load in some guns, either the ammo is undersize or the chamber is oversize, but you cannot count on that.

The '66 action is OAL specific. I don't think a shorter round will feed.

But it sounds like you are ready to try. Let us know how it works for you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Back from the range. They chamber ok but as expected do not tube feed which is ok ,easy to single top feed in a 1866. They do not chamber in any 38 spl revolvers. Two loads, all intended as close range quiet ammo, 3gr unique a little heavy went clean thru cabelas master catalog. 1.5 gr unique a little too light...2 gr unique just good, stops at last page of catalog. overall length 1.140, 158 gr semi wad cutter. Need to remove decapping pin so die can bell case if you use 38spl dies.
    Ok so why? Well I have a lot of 38S&W brass with no pistol for it. I need a close up quiet round for the varmints near the horse barn. Also they are shorter and can not be mistaken for the regular 38spl rounds I have which are flying along at 1325fps from 20in barrel.
    Did not chronograph but I suspect around 700fps. with 2gr unique.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From Cartridges of the World 11th edition:

.38 S&W: .359 bullet dia, .386 base/neck dia., .433 rim dia.

.38 Spl-.357 mag: .357 bullet dia., .379 neck/base dia., .440 rim dia.

Slightly fatter bullet and case, smaller rim. Even with the light loads, you still mite get case separations or blown cases that mite damage gun or mar chamber... then again, it mite not. (Of course it's your gun and it's up to you, but I'd stick with what it's chambered for just in case.)

maybe try the .38 Spl. with trail boss powder, supposedly it's very bulky and designed to fill big cases that have light loads. (I don't have a T-boss load like the ones you want, but I'm sure they're out there) Mark the .38 spl case heads with a sharpie so you don't confuse them with your regular loads. (When I load hotter .45 Colt's for the old Vaquero or Casull revolver, I mark the box and the case heads with a sharpie so a hottie won't end up in the Ubertis.)

Whatever you choose, it sounds like a good rat-thumper without the neighbor-annoying BOOM!..:-)
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am absolutely amazed that anyone would mess around loading and shooting the wrong ctgs in a rifle. The 38 special can be loaded to the same specs as the 38 S&W.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I size down the 38S&W brass in a 38 special die, that conforms the outside to 38 spl. I reload a .357 dia bullet, 2 gr of unique is very light, the only configuration difference is shorter cartridge, much like shooting a 22 short in a long rifle chamber. Head spacing is on the rim.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    jaegermister thanks for sharing. Based on what you are doing to make the case 38 Special like and your range results, sounds like you have designed and proven your concept.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I gave it the "field test", shot one groundhog at 15yds along side the barn and none of the live stock even flinched from the noise. A pass thru head shot( these short shells shoot true to the sights of the bigger ammo) and the noise was less than a .22. One nice thing you can carry a bunch of these little cartridges without even a notice, they are so small and light, sort of like 380auto size. I may try squirrels come fall up close and quiet in a squirrel colony. Oh well take from my experience what you want.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looking forward to your hunting results.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. You don't learn if you don't experiment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Finally settled on 3gr unique, more consistent velocity.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How much did the noise level increase?