In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ballistic's / Bullet drop , Question

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
If I want to sight a Remington 700 VTR in 223 rem to hit dead on at 200 yards ,how high must I hit at 100 yards ? ( 1" high , 2" high )

The load I'm hunting with is a 55 gr Speer TNT hollow point , over 26 gr's of H-335 , this should have me around 3000 FPS ( aprox )

I only have access to a 100 yard range , and I don't want to use the land I can hunt on as a make-shift shooting range .
I'm only looking for a starting point , and understand that most likely I'll need to tweek it here & there a little .

Hoping that some of the fella's here that shoot the 223 rem round might have gone through this already ,and could give a little advice .

Comments

• zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    2.0 inches high at 100 yds will be right on at 200 yds with a 55 gr bullet @ 3240 fps and 1 inch high at 200 with a 40 gr bullet.
  • bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've found this tool to be very accurate;

http://www.handloads.com/calc/index.html

Zim is very close - the tool shows 1.8" @ 100 for a 200 yd zero. (If you shoot .2" groups, you are there)[:D]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At an estimated muzzle velocity, with an estimated bullet BC and an unknown scope-bore height, you can sight in about a couple inches high to be on at about 200 yards.

I can't get it more precise than that.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    True. I used 1.5" scope height and sea level and got 1.8" using the tool generated coefficient. Variance in any of those and the result changes, some, but still in the ballpark of 2" high @ 100.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    375H&H,

I would go to http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi and see where that gets you.

You can use the estimate they give you and then adjust on the 100 yd. range you use. Go hunt and out to 200 yd. you won't have any problems. The drops are not enough to take you out of the kill zone. Shoot straight and post some pics when you get back.

-good luck
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gonna set it 2" high @ 100 , talked with the land owner , he said not a problem to set a target out in one of his back fields and check it at 200 & 300 . This fella does NOT like Ground Hogs in his fields !!!

Mounted the scope last night using one of those Wheeler's " Level level level " , worked like a charm , cross hairs where perfect.
    Read a review on them , seems they only work for mounting scopes on bolt action rifles , but for my needs it was just fine .

Will get to the range this Thursday , and hopefully the field on Friday.

Thanks for the advice .
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    Gonna set it 2" high @ 100 , talked with the land owner , he said not a problem to set a target out in one of his back fields and check it at 200 & 300 . This fella does NOT like Ground Hogs in his fields !!!

Ground hogs are hard on farm equipment and soybeans. One ground hog will eat enough soybeans to pay for a rifle in one year!