In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

38spcl Duplex loads?............

lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anybody tried em?
I am thinking about putting a light cast bullet on top of the powder and my shot on top of it. Would make a great all around load but I don't wanna mess up the gun. I figure putting the shot under the bullet would cause problems.
Has anybody here experimented with such a load?

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, I know one fella that blew up THREE S&W revolvers playing around with duplex loads. They go KABOOM when EVERYTHING is not exactly correct.

My impression, after loading and shooting for 35 years, why risk it?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Send us pictures of before and after of all your fingers now and how many you have after. What is the point of this kind of load. Use a borrowed pistol so you wont get blood on yours. [xx(][V][:(]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guys are freaking out because the usual definition of "duplex load" is a combination of two powders.

You seem to be describing a pistol version of the old buck and ball musket load. I don't think it would be hazardous to your health, but I don't think it would accomplish much, either.
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    The guys are freaking out because the usual definition of "duplex load" is a combination of two powders.

You seem to be describing a pistol version of the old buck and ball musket load. I don't think it would be hazardous to your health, but I don't think it would accomplish much, either.

Yes a version of a buck and ball load is what I am curious about
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have used Speer shot capsules with various things in them. That would be the easy way to do it. I have also made loads with 2 36 cal. round balls. Pressing one down on top of the powder and then pressing the second ball in and crimping it in the middle. In a 357 magnum case, you can load 3 balls.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    EVEN LOADING A SIGLE BUCKSHOT THERE WOULDN'T BE MUCH ROOM FOR SHOT
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    EVEN LOADING A SIGLE BUCKSHOT THERE WOULDN'T BE MUCH ROOM FOR SHOT

I was thinking of loading a lightweight bullet (100gr or less) on top of the powder and instead of using the white cap just putting a speer shot capsule with shot in it on top, using the bullet as the cap, for snakes that way if you hit dead on you got a dead snake but if you are off a tad it ought to act as snake shot.
    I am trying to make sure I don't have a repeat from the last time in went in the woods where I shot a big moccasin that slithered across my boot 4 times with snake shot within 5 steps which didn't appear to bother him at all. As thick as it is in some places I can't carry a shotgun (even an 18.5" barrel one) and I really don't feel like paying for a $200 stamp to legally have a sawed off.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Why not buy a Taurus judge [?][?]
    A 410 is going to reach out more than a 38 [;)]
  • RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could always fill the cavity of a hollow base wadcutter with shot and epoxy and load it backwards. Lyman used to make a two piece cast bullet set-up where you epoxied a hard base to a soft nose. Didn't exactly set the world on fire.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Why not buy a Taurus judge [?][?]
    A 410 is going to reach out more than a 38 [;)]

with my wife unemployed, and both of us in college, I can't afford one, I'd love to have one but, sadly, i don't have the funds at the .
    THat is what I'll get next year tho, this s to hold me til then and if I can make it work my wife will have a helluva SD load
  • GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the public defender and never had a problem and at close range I would not want to be on the receiving end[;)]
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use large shot like #4 or 5.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Use large shot like #4 or 5.

my normal snake shot load is 7-1/2 and 4 shot mixed together with the cap on the powder then fill up the case and capsile to where it is the longest that can fit in the 38 without locking it up. but even that didn't phase the snake that went across my foot
    edited November -1
    Did it. I loaded a 110gr lead bullet with ~70-80gr of 7-1/2 lead shot on top of 3grs of 231. recoil was very mild less than a 125gr factory load. Haven't checked the pattern yet since I was more concerned about making sure it didn't go boom and feeling recoil.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I question the wisdom of this endeavor.

Granted, it may be safe; however, the marginal amount of shot you're going to be able to load will both spray out in a cone shape due to the rifling, meaning you won't hit much- and it won't have much oomph behind it. Good for shooting rats, and granted I wouldn't want to be shot with it, but hardly effective for defense. IMHO you'd be better served staggering shot/solid bullets of conventional loading if you feel you must do this; however, I'd say a good bullet in the 125-158 gr range with a max load (or +P if your gun is rated for it) would be more effective than a pinch of shot driven at slow speeds with a poor pattern coupled with a light cast lead bullet.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a Keith style semi wadcutter of 158gr driven by a +P load is serious trouble for any perp.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lksmith03

For the sake of clarity. The THREE revolvers I saw blown up were because of Buck and ball. It had nothing to do with mixed powders.

Load a HOT 125 JHP or 158 cast Keith style and practice a bit, dead is dead, two in the chest one in the head.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by lksmith03

For the sake of clarity. The THREE revolvers I saw blown up were because of Buck and ball. It had nothing to do with mixed powders.

Load a HOT 125 JHP or 158 cast Keith style and practice a bit, dead is dead, two in the chest one in the head.
    the intended use for this load is for snake control (think poor man's judge) However my remark about the SD load would be better served by a 357, that would hold the pressure neccessary to move it fast enough to make a good SD load.

Until I can afford a Judge, the primary gun is a S&W airweight and the primary usage is for the venomous snakes that I happen across while in the woods, since it is rather impractical to carry a 12ga while running a saw. since it is usually very warm when Bow season opens there is the risk of moccasins while ground hunting.

To borrow a line from my least favorite person, Let me be clear, the intended use of this combination is for taking out the tougher snakes in my area, not the 2 legged kind.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    In that case..... you can get shot capsules from cci at a reasonable price that avoid the duplex issue altogether and will do a fine job on a snake at close range.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    In that case..... you can get shot capsules from cci at a reasonable price that avoid the duplex issue altogether and will do a fine job on a snake at close range.

I am using Shot capsules. but am looking for a stouter load since I shot a moccasin 4 times dead center from less than 5 steps and didn't even phase him.

The current load is 3.0gr 231 with a 110gr cast bulllet ~70grs of 7-1/2 lead shot with a blue CCI shot capsule to seal it off.
    Instead of the white cap on bottom I have the bullet at the bottom cap and the OAL is about 1.475. I am throwing a payload of ~180gr at the snake