In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

loading 40 S&W

jsmith15jsmith15 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
I went by my Lyman's manual for loading .40 cal. It's loaded with win. primer, 180 gr. zero FMJ bullet and I used 5.5 grains of 231. My brother in-law told me 4.7 was ideal for that setup, and the range of charge was 4.4-5.0
Will this create to much pressure? or am I OK?

Comments

• midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My book doesn't have load data for 231 powder. If I were you, I'd stick to whatever data you have from Lyman. Not to discredit your brother in law, but I think Lyman has a little more research involved....
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is why I never post load data on the forums. Not enuff info given.
    Too many people today want quick satisfaction. You should be looking in at least two different manuals before starting on a new load.
    Yes, your load is hot, it going to tear up your ultra-lite aluminum frame subcompact TinyTerrror model 6 with a unsupported chamber..

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1209918
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't load .40 but jumping in at only .1 grain from the highest maximum published is not good practice.
  • Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the load charts for TITEGROUP. You'll find excelent loads using less powder. Thats cost effective and its about the best pistol powder you can find.
  • jsmith15jsmith15 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK.. now I realize there was not enough info given. My brother in-law was referencing a software called "Quickload" He has been reloading and shooting competively for over 20 years and is one of two USA rifle coaches. The software called for 4.4-5.0 with 4.7 being ideal pressure. My lyman book states 5.0-5.6
    Also, I am shooting an XD-40 service model.
    I have been re-loading a couple of years. I have shot this same bullet at 5.2 W231.
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think your bil is right. 5.2 would be okay in your xd, but 5.5 is still heavy. Do you need that much? The lyman book is about the heaviest listing for 231. Bob
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I have loaded 5.2 gr of 231 with a 180 gr bullet for several years for my 40s. If I want hotter loads, I go to AA5.
    edited November -1
    Update:
    went to the range and shot the 5.5gr. 231 180gr. FMJ. functioned great but kicked like mule compared to the 4.7gr. i loaded.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    5.5gr of W231 is on the hot end for that combo...but some guns need it... had a S&W4006 that would not function unless the reloads were at the hot end of the spectrum...I use my Lymans manual for the majority of my loads....never had a problem
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jsmith15,

The biggest thing is going on published data for a start load and working up. If your firearm is doing okay with the 5.5, then that's the load to use. From what I understood from your original statement is that you were .8 gr. over what your brother in law said was "best pressure". If the pistol was kicking pretty good I'd re-evaluate my load and go to what was more reasonable. (per your second post) It never hurts to try several different powders and see which one works best in your gun. I have loads for .380, .40S&W and .45 ACP using AA #7. I can't shoot the AA#7 in the .380 because it knocks the mag/trigger spring out of it's groove. I went back to using Clays for that one. But, the other two excel with #7.

As babun stated some of the tiny terror model's 1-6 don't like slow/high pressure powders. Find a faster or low pressure (no nitro) powder and get what makes the firearm function properly.

As you may have noticed loading for semi-auto's takes a little more thought than for bolt guns and revolvers.

Edit:

FWIW, Hodgdon, who handles Winchester now, gives 5.0 gr. as max. I personally would be looking to tone down your load or go to a different powder. I would suggest long shot if you have a heavy gun or one of the "clays" series if you have a lighter gun. AA #2 or #5 for the latter as well.
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. Luckily I only loaded 50 rounds of the 5.5 W231 & out of that I shot 20. The gun shoots and handles great at 4.7 W231. I also loaded some Unique 5.0gr. and it shot well with that powder also. My source is out of W231 as of today so I bought some H38 which is a duplicate of W231. I will continue to use W231 in 9mm, and 40 and use the unique for 38spcl.