In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need some load data ASAP....

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
I need some load data for the 45-70 with a Hornady 325 grain FTX bullet. The rifle is a Marlin Lever Gun with a 16" barrel...so I'm looking for something that will achieve maximum velocities in a shorter barrel with the most complete powder burn.

I had some data a while back, but I cannot seem to be able to locate it. Thanks!

Comments

• grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Found this.

quote:

Just some reloading info for those who load 45-70 using the Hornady FTX bullets. I shot my Marlin 1895 cowboy w/ 26" barrel today and wanted to relay my educational experience.

I loaded two boxes of 20 yesterday. One with H4198 and the other with IMR4198. Both used Hornady brass, CCI 200 primers and 47.5 gr of powder. I understand they are different powders but Hornady data shows only a 50 fps or so increase in MV using the IMR. I didn't measure velocity today but WOW what a difference in trajectory.

I was hitting just a hair low of center at 100yds using the H4198 loads, about 3 MOA (open sights leaning on my gear bag). Then, when I moved to the IMR4198 loads, I was shooting 8" high of center. Luckily, I put a large backing paper around my 11"x11" target so I could see it hitting a couple inches high of the target. I moved my rear sight down 2 notches (to the lowest setting) and am hitting dead on at 100yds with the IMR4198 in reasonably tight groups (for aging eyes and open sights resting on a gear bag....).

I will be loading with IMR4198 going forward, at least with FTX bullets
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I use IMR3031, in mine. start at about 56 gns. h335 (60 gns) works well too.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    I use IMR3031, in mine. start at about 56 gns. h335 (60 gns) works well too.

How much difference am I going to see with Magnum primers? I'm using Federal 215's. Thanks.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Another good powder for shorter barrels in 45-70 is Reloader #7.
    W.D.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    W.D.

+1, When I had my BFR 45-70 Revolver, that is what I used.

I am also planning on using what I have left of the can in my .44-40 revolver.

That #7 is some good stuff when you are looking for higher velocities out of shorter barrels. [8D]

Jon
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    W.D.

I took your advice from an earlier thread and that is what I used for my initial loads this evening. Thanks!
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "Magnum primers?".......zero, mag. primers and short barrels w/ medium rate powders don't do anything. I've even gotten SLOWER velocitys with them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "Magnum primers?".......zero, mag. primers and short barrels w/ medium rate powders don't do anything. I've even gotten SLOWER velocitys with them.

Really, why is that? That's all I have on hand, so that's what I'm using. I know folks who use nothing but magnum primers in all large rifle primer applications.?.?
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Check your other thread for a link to the post you are looking for [;)]