In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.223 loads with VARGET

laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
I have been trying to locate a load for this bullet with VARGET without any luck. Speer #13 does not list a load with VARGET. Does anyone have any data on this bullet with VARGET? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    what bullet? Nosler and Sierra both list loads for different weight bullets using varget.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy some reloading manuals instead of searching the internet. It is one thing to come up with some odd ball load or bullet/powder combination. But something as common as varget and a .223, it is just plane being dumb not to have the bullet manufacturers manual.
  • laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forgot to mention, it is a Speer 62 gr FMJ. The Hodgdon site has a 60 and 63 gr bullet listed. Would it be ok to sub for the heavier bullet?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by laylandad
    I forgot to mention, it is a Speer 62 gr FMJ. The Hodgdon site has a 60 and 63 gr bullet listed. Would it be ok to sub for the heavier bullet?

You can, Going off the Hogdon data, I would keep the parameter
    of your starting range at the middle of the 60gr load and max at the middle of 63gr load and work the load ladder. NOTE: This might be OK for similar Bullets But when you get into special bullets like VLD's etc the powder game changes. But like shoff14 said and many others here have stressed You can never have enough reload manuals.

One books Minimum might be another books Maximum. What I do is find that little window of powder weight that they all agree upon then find the high and low point and work 5rnds each from the bottom up in .5 gr increments. Then if you see what works well then start working your new loads at .1 and work up.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    laylanddad,

The biggest thing with ANY powder and bullet combo is to find the right starting combination.

Varget works well with most any of the heavier .224" bullets in .223 Rem and 5.56 NATO.

{to retierate what FrancF said}:

One books Minimum might be another books Maximum. What I do is find that little window of powder weight that they all agree upon then find the high and low point and work 5rnds each from the bottom up in .5 gr increments. Then if you see what works well then start working your new loads at .1 and work up.
    [/quote]

So, find the minimum and use ten or so cases and run a ladder then tune the load with ten more cases running second ladder.

-Good luck

Edit:

Personally, I went hog-wild with RE-15 and heavy bullets. I'm loading 68/69, 75/77's and 80's and having great success. -.5MOA groups and POUNDING the target.

But Varget will work every bit as good.