In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.65 x 53mm & Speer 125 gr, .311 dia. bullets

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
Have some .311 125 grain Speer bullets coming for one of my 1891 Argentine Sporters. Shooting Timesjust did an article on this and I wondered if anyone has tried it out yet. Do you have any info on using these lighter bullets in the Argentine Mauser 1891? What's your favorite recipe? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I've not tried that bullet but have used the Hornady 123 grain, close enough. I found I did well with a slow powder- essentially a case full of 4831, then the bullet. This wasn't a terribly fast load but it printed well in my gun.

Interestingly, on the other end of the spectrum, I've done well with a very fast powder, SR 4759, 20 grains.

I've also done fairly well with BLC2, which since the argentine cartridge is pretty close in dimensions and ballistics to the 7.62 Nato (where the BLC2 is a favorite) it isn't surprising.

It seems to be a very forgiving cartridge.

I don't have charge weights off hand but could look this weekend if no one else weighs in.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ENBLOC,

My favorite recipe with those is H4895. Start at the book or website minimum and work up. I was getting about 3250 with them from my 29" barreled 1909.

Edit:

I noted the website doesn't show 125's so I'll give you where I started which was 40 gr. Your 1891 isn't as strong as the 1909 but you should get plenty of velocity with those before you reach any real pressure signs.

FWIW, I also used the bullets I pulled from my 7.62x39 cases (123 gr.) so I could form those cases to 6.5. The bullets shot great,...and fast.[:D]

This is a good way to really enjoy that rifle. -Good luck!