In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope a Garand?

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
Anybody put a scope on their M1, or is that a dumb idea?
If you have, could you provide brand and model numbers of base, rings, and scope?
Pics would be great also, preferably twenty seven eight-by-ten
colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.[:D]
Thanks,
Gary

Comments

• Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a post not too long ago where someone showed his and how it was done. You may want to do a search.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is a dumb idea.
    First, the Garand is now a Significant Historical Artifact and Valuable Collector's Item and people will get upset with you for altering one.

Second, the scope has to be offset to clear clip loading and ejection, making it hard to get a good cheekweld. See the lace on cheekpads made for the M1C-D sniper models.

If you just must, Williams still makes a side mount for the Garand.
    Look for the model numbers in their catalog you can download at:
    http://www.williamsgunsight.com/

If you want something nice, Griffin and Howe still makes the side mount as used on the M1C sniper.
    http://www.griffinhowe.com/mountsandpads.cfm

I think you can still get barrels and brackets and set up a fake M1D.
  • Options
    ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't even considering altering it.
    OK, so it's a dumb idea.
    Aint like it's the first one I ever had.
    Thanks
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a great song !!!! ""twenty seven eight-by-ten
    colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one"""[8D] And if you want a scope, put it on...remember,
    "You can get anything you want.........."
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    B-Square makes a good mount for the M-1 that doesn't involve altering the weapon in any way!

It's pretty slick how it works, clamps on the left side of the reciever and on the rear site.

Nothing permanent. No marks. Slick!

You do have to take rear site apart, just keep the pieces and put them back on later!

And BOY, when your eyes are bad like mine does it EVER help thin those damn groundhogs out!
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out Fulton Armory. They have a front rail that replaces part of the hand guard. Easy to undo if you like and you don't have to put the scope off to the side.