In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load Books

Anyone ever had any trouble with Load Books brand load manuals?

I bought one for 300 RUM at cabelas awhile back. It has loads for most major powder and bullet makers.

The trouble was with sierra's info. The load book had 180 grain bullet loads that were WAY hot compared to Sierra's 5th edition.

The only reason I bought the book was 'cause at the time Sierra's 5th edition couldn't be found anywhere. I tryed a couple loads out of it and didn't die (did pop a primer BIG TIME)!

Never used it again!!

Anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure I recall this correctly because I don't own such a flamethrower, but I seem to remember a warning about load data for the 300 RUM - and I think it was from Sierra. If your load book is based on older data, it might be unsafe.

Check the copyright/print dates of the load book against your Sierra #5. Always use current data.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle
    Anyone ever had any trouble with Load Books brand load manuals?

I bought one for 300 RUM at cabelas awhile back. It has loads for most major powder and bullet makers.

The trouble was with sierra's info. The load book had 180 grain bullet loads that were WAY hot compared to Sierra's 5th edition.

The only reason I bought the book was 'cause at the time Sierra's 5th edition couldn't be found anywhere. I tryed a couple loads out of it and didn't die (did pop a primer BIG TIME)!

Never used it again!!

Anyone else have this problem?

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=474347
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago, a friend and I developed a method for reloading a new(to us) cartridge. We took the starting loads from all the loading manuals we could find and averaged them and started there. If the data in one book is too high or too low, the others would bring it in range. It worked for us--we never had overloaded starting loads. Of course, as we moved up
    !
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found it. (Must not be completely senile just yet!)

Dear Sierra Consumer:

It has come to our attention that some of the printed loads for the 300 Remington Ultra Mag in our 5th Edition Handgun and Reloading Manual and Infinity Suite Computer Software exceed the SAAMI maximum pressure suggestions. Use of these loads may result in damage to firearms and or * injury.

If you purchased your 5th Edition reloading manual or INFINITY Suite computer software program directly from Sierra, or you registered either purchase with Sierra, you will automatically be sent the replacement reloading data for the 300 Remington Ultra Mag.

For purchasers of the 5th Edition Handgun and Reloading Manual, please contact Sierra directly at 888-223-3006 or by email at sierra@sierrabullets.com. We will send you a replacement section of data immediately. Please remove and discard the pages currently in your manual. This replacement data is also posted at www.sierrabullets.com.

For purchasers of the Infinity Suite Computer Software, a program patch is available on our website, www.sierrabullets.com . Please click the Download Patch link to receive the program patch.

If you need any additional information concerning this notice, please call 800-223-8799 or send an e-mail to sierra@sierrabullets.com.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Sierra Bullets, LLC
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    No kidding....

Thanks a million....I'll be given them a call!

Thank god for bullet pullers!
  • Options
    grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have plenty of reloading books listed here on the gb site search under seller shady grady