In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

military primer crimp

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
what's the best way to get rid of a military primer pocket crimp? I don't have a fancy reamer/de-crimper and I don't want to have to spend the money on one. Is there a "backyard" way to do it? I have the Lee single stage kit with accessories and I've tried the chamfer tool on some mil brass but it didn't seem to work. Any other suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What's the easiest and/or cheapest way to remove the primer crimp from milsurp 30-06 cases?
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The easiest way is a RCBS or Dillon swager.
    The cheapest wai is with a deburing tool or pocket knife.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    The easiest way is a Lee or Dillon swager.
    The cheapest wai is with a deburing tool or pocket knife.

I have the RCBS version. It works fine, also.
  • Options
    grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you use any type swager you can been the rim of your case if the crimp is very much so a reamer type remover is the best way for your brass i do use both an thats what i have found on .223- 20mm cases of the military type
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just use the case neck deburring tool you already have.
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy a swager dillon or RCBS

although you can use a deburring tool but don't be surprised when the primers start to fall out

chamfering the primer pocket isn't the best thing
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grady mitchell
    if you use any type swager you can been the rim of your case if the crimp is very much so a reamer type remover is the best way for your brass i do use both an thats what i have found on .223- 20mm cases of the military type

How do you bend the rim with an RCBS de-crimper? The decapped case sits in a hardened steel mandrel and is supported inside the case by the hardened steel pin that goes into the case mouth touching the base of the case..... The rim is not even touched. [?]
  • Options
    grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the case sits in the shell holder the swager goes up throw the shell holder to push the primer pocket back to size over forcing it will push up to far in side of the shell holder an bend the rim of the case or even break the shell holder of this type crimp remover an then these swage types will not put it back to spec be egg shaped in the bottom of the pocket so reaming is the best way to correct military pockets
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like somebody dosn't know how to set-up / use a pocket swager (or their trying to swage pockets with the priming arm [:0] ).
    I have a RCBS unit also, and it works NOTHING like discribed above.

Mine there is a case stem (anvil) mounted on the ram, and the pocket "punch" is mounted in the top of the press. Place case over stem, run up onto punch, lower ram, pull case off punch.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    the case sits in the shell holder the swager goes up throw the shell holder to push the primer pocket back to size over forcing it will push up to far in side of the shell holder an bend the rim of the case or even break the shell holder of this type crimp remover an then these swage types will not put it back to spec be egg shaped in the bottom of the pocket so reaming is the best way to correct military pockets

I don't know what kind of swager you used, but my RCBS is not set up the same as yours.
    I have swager thousands of pieces of military brass and never bent a rim [:0][:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I got a spam can of Greek milsurp M2 ball ammo. All I see different about the primers is 3 little prick punch dimples around the edge of the primer pocket. Is this what everyone refers to as "crimped"?
    Thanks,
    Gary
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that is what is known as a "stab crimp."

Other ammo will have a "ring crimp" all the way around the primer.

I would try a reamer on that Greek stuff, you might be able to get out the three little stabs without a real heavy chamfer on the pocket.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toolfogie
    So I got a spam can of Greek milsurp M2 ball ammo. All I see different about the primers is 3 little prick punch dimples around the edge of the primer pocket. Is this what everyone refers to as "crimped"?
    Thanks,
    Gary

Gary
    Check the inside of a fired case to see if it has 1 flash hole (Boxer primed) or 2 flash holes (Berdan primed) before you try to deprime any of them (not familier with the Greek cases, but the above is a good thing to do with any "non-US" made brass).

Crimps can be ring or stab, the removal methiod(s) is/are the same for both
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I cut about 3/8" off the bottom of a fired case. 1 flash hole.
    I then knocked the primer out with a drift pin and a couple twists of a chamfer tool removed the stab marks and left a very slight chamfer (more like a shiny ring) on the primer pocket. Easy-peasy. I think I'm good to go.
    Thanks for the help.
    Gary
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Hi Grady,
    Mine does not use the shell holder there is no way to bend the lips or distort the primer pocket. The primer pocket forming mandrel is hardened tool steel, it would take a million or more cases to even start to wear it out. The mandrel is adjusted to remove the crimp by swaging the brass back to its original shape.

Can you post a picture of your swager? I am confused about using the shell holder.

Thanks,
    Bruce
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CH makes a swager that looks superficially like the RCBS but holds the case by the rim. I bet you could bend rims with one of those.

I once got the shaft of an RCBS out of adjustment and bent THAT. But the brass was fine.