In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Gunpowder storing

[:D] Good morning--

I've gotta question about gunpowders-Most of my shooting/reloading for the past 45 years has been in california and at sea level, well

Now I have all my firearms and reloading equip, including gunpowder cans-a couple of which have been opened and during my uses I've always filled a small bottle of the powder I was using-so I wouldn't keep opening the main bottle numerous times, now (you still there) my question-

My place is at 4200ft alt' Nevada desert and temps run from 115 (not this summer) to -10 deg winter, do any of you guys that live in areas like that, have any particular ways of storing the powder,DBL sealing, keep in house (?), or just FAGTEABOUTIT ??

Thanx

[:o)] JIMBO

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    temp extremes, especially heat, will deteriorate powders. Store them inside the house where temp fluctuations are small, and humidity is removed by the heat/ac.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D] Thanx JustC-I'll keep them in my computer rm, where I have my digital powder measure anyway !

Now I just have to convince my wife, as soon as she sees the powder cans ([8])

• Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bulk of my powder is stored under my bed which was originally a kingsized water bed but now has a conventional matress. Without fancey drawers its a pain to get to. But then it takes a while to run thru 5 and 8 lb cannisters which is what I work out of mostly. I never put powder into anything other than the powder measure or a smaller factory container of the same type powder. And never leave powder in the despenser, kinda hard to tell Blue Dot from Unique at a glance.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My reloading room is in the basement and it is messy. But I'm VERY careful with powder. There is only one can of powder on the bench at a time; the one I'm working with--the rest are on the shelves. The tempture of the room runs 60 to 75 degrees and there's a de-humidifier in there. As has been said, keep the powder in the origional containers when it's not in the measure and then return it promptly. (Keep primers in their origional containers, too.) If the powder has been in the measure a few days and you're not sure anymore what it is--don't guess, discard it! It's not worth taking a chance.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [:D] Thanx everso, guys-

Like I mentioned, my "stuff" is in the desert now, so humidity-isn't normally above 10%, but

The temps are what I'm worried about-so

I'll keep all the powder in the house room I mentioned and-

I also never use two different powders during the same session, but I always take a measured amount of powder-FOR THAT LOADING and transfer to a small MARKED bottle, with sealable top-got a bunch ofem-

That keeps me from opening the MAIN powder can more than once a trip !!

I'm gonna have to do a lot of shooting with that AA2230c, cause I've still got over 4lbs ofit-thats why I asked earlier about the loading in larger calibers, using that stuff !!

Good day/shooting --

• Options
    alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Than where do you store your loaded ammo ? Same difference right?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    [8D] Thats kind of tough, I keep any "match" seeking .223/.243/30-06 in the same house room, if I haven't already shotem, but

quote:Originally posted by alan self
    Than where do you store your loaded ammo ? Same difference right?

Thats kinda rare, if I loadem, I shootem,however, I've got thousands of 5.56/7.62/30-06 in my garage and I don't expect to do any competition or "tight" shooting with that stuff-

I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in .223/.243, I loaded up to 6 yrs ago and they've been through -10? to 1153

Now I haven't done any shooting at -F degrees YET, so I'll find out this winter !!

• Options
    ridurallridurall Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got 4, big 20mm ammo cans that have great seals and I keep all my powders in them, in the house where the temperatures are steady and the humidity is low. When I open the ammo cans I can smell the nitro and that tells me it's keeping the powder stable. I had an 8 lb keg with IMR 4350 that I use in my 30 Belted Newton. After 30 years 69.5 gr behind a 180 gr Nosler Partition bullet still gives me 2915 FPS.