In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee turret press problems

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
Lately the primers started turning in the primer arm right after the arm moves under the ram. Most of the time the primers flip about 1/2 way and go into the pocket that way. Once in awhile the primers are flipped completely over and the anvil shows when finished.

Anothe rissue is that primer mechanism often are dropped instead of being placed in the primer arm.

Any know what's happening and have solutions?

Comments

• Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get yourself a dedicated priming tool , any of the hand held ones work fine and are quite inexpensive ! Priming on the press is pain in the butt anyway !
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 Hand prime is the way to go...Lee just came out with a new tool called the XR for about $20. Give it a shot.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    That's just one of the reasons mine went down the road, and was replaced with a Dillon [;)]
    The other is NO fourth place for a taper crimp die.
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The brand name lee is the problem
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Other than their auto prime hand tool which works great, I've never had luck with any Lee priming tools. That and their balance scale are the ONLY junky things from them I've ever had. Their fully progressive presses are so so- the priming stuff is junk, the press itself is pretty decent. I have no experience with the turret press though.

Which turret press do you have, the classic cast or the original one with the pot metal handle? Because DCS shooters is thinking of the old model- the new ones DO have a fourth station.

As to your situation though, I had the same issues with their Pro 1000. I switched primer brands to one with less rounded edges. Did the trick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have the newer 4 hole turret press and have a taper crimp die of one die set. I also have a Lee hand Primer. Reverting to the hand primer defeats the purpose of having a turret press with a primer feeder. I don't shoot enough to justify buying a Dillon.

Changing over to a less rounded primer is worth a try. I'll have to look to see if I have any SP primers other than Remington brand.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't completely agree with that. A hand primer gives a level of "feel" to proper seating that a press mounted primer simply can't duplicate.

Lee stuff is cheap AND made cheaply but it does what it is supposed to...for the most part.
  • Options
    SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm confused.

I don't have enough information.

LARGE or small primers?

LARGE or small primer safety prime?

My best guess is that you have a LARGE primer guide and cup; feeding small primers into it. Any small bump or vibrating action will FLIP the small primer in the LARGE guide cup.

I hope this helps.

Sam
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sammowry
    My best guess is that you have a LARGE primer guide and cup; feeding small primers into it. Any small bump or vibrating action will FLIP the small primer in the LARGE guide cup.
    I agree here, if the primers are seated properly in the primer lever arm, there isn't a whole lot of room for them to flip on you.
    Might also want to make sure the spring loaded cup is clean and not sticking. It's possible it could be releasing and flipping the primer on you.
    If all else fails, call Lee. They have pretty helpful customer service and may be able to help you troubleshoot the issue.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by victorj19
    I have the newer 4 hole turret press and have a taper crimp die of one die set. I also have a Lee hand Primer. Reverting to the hand primer defeats the purpose of having a turret press with a primer feeder. I don't shoot enough to justify buying a Dillon.

Changing over to a less rounded primer is worth a try. I'll have to look to see if I have any SP primers other than Remington brand.

Back when the 550b was only about $295 or so, those were my thoughts. I've since loaded over 500,000 357, 38 super, 223, 30 carbine, 300 win mag, 40S&W, 44mag, 30-30, 9mm, 357Sig, 38 special, & 7mm magnum. Now, when the 550b is around $400; you want to say you don't/won't shoot enough to justify the ease of use/killer customer service/no b.s. warranty for life/exact same round every time/convenience of a press that WORKS?
    Oh yeah, and you could sell it for what you paid in 5 years, and it will still be a bargain to your buyer.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was loading with small primer and was using the correct priming arm and it is clean. Guess I'll call Lee. If they can correct the problem, I'll post it.

Jim
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I no longer use a press mounted primer seater. All priming is done on a Lee hand seater or a bench mounted unit. I even do handgun cases with the Lee while watching TV in the easy chair. I use a turret press to charge and seat bullets in handgun cases but size, prep, and prime separately.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same here, I use the lee hand primer. I like having "the feel" of the seat. Boy you can tell right off the bat if something is wrong/not right.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hand priming is the way to go, but HATE when a case gets stuck. You wonder if you'll get it off the prime tool without it going off. Hate having to seat it again with more pressure.
  • Options
    SammowrySammowry Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There has to be something in the slot in the RAM that the primer cup/holder is catching on, which is pulling it back slightly, and then the primer is free to rotate in the cup, or fall out.

Are you using a LEE shell holder on top of the ram?

Could be the inside of the shell holder, the hole where the primer comes up through has a small burr and the edge of the primer cup is catching on that.

There is also a "C" shaped clip that the shell holder snaps into. Could be the shell holder isn't quite "in-line" with the primer ram when it goes through.

Another thing I found out is that MY actions using the press affect how it works; i.e. trying to go too fast, jerking the lever arm up and down snaps the workings too quickly. Maybe the ram of the press is too close to the edge of the reloading table/bench you have the press mounted onto? Any lube on the ram?

It may be a small adjustment in the Safety Prime too. The call to Lee is a good idea.

As far as priming OFF the press, I do that too. It's personal preferance for me, and depending on how much time I get to reload. In stages if my time allows: Clean brass. Next day, de-prime. Next day, check for defects, re-prime (off press); a few days later actually sit down and re-load, when I can dedicate total focus and time on it with no interuptions.

Hope this helps - and I'll be watching/waiting for your post on the outcome, solution.

Sam
  • Options
    glynglyn Member Posts: 5,949
    edited November -1
    I prime with Lee hand primers,got two so I dont have change when from one size to another.They are pretty cheap at about $12.They are convenient too,I sit and watch tele while priming.