In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

pistol cartridge reloading

[:D] OK, this will be new tome, I've got the LEE loading equip and I've been reloading rifles (.223/.243/30-06/257 Wby mag---for years and NEVER done pistol-

My questions are will any of my rifle primers work (small/large/mag)?? and since it'll be for 45 colt/45acp and 38/357-do any of you guys have a recommended powder, as a general middle of the ground choice

The pistols are S & W 1911/Colt 1911 NM for the 45acp and S & W 686 for the 38/357 and Ruger Blackhawk for the .45 colt-

Thanx for any and all advice !!

[:o)][:o)] JIMBO

Comments

• 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, primers are specific to rifle or pistols except in a few instances of rifle cartridges being used in pistols like T/C and a few others. you will need to go buy pistol primers and use those. As far as a middle of the road powder for pistols, Unique is probably one of the best for the calibers you stated but there are several others that would work unless you want to crank up the 357mag. For target and practice loads Unique would do it all.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique is king for a broad use powder in handguns also check Tite Group. it takes low charge weights and burns very clean.

Always use the correct primer for the job. A rifle primer has a harder cup, a LR primer is deeper than a LP primer.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [:D] Wonderful info, thanx everso- guys-

Damn, I've got thousands of CCI rifle primers--I guess I'll stop at Cabelas when I get to Nevada this weekend --and stockup

Thanx again--

• gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak for the other calibers you're interested in, but I know Bullseye works very well in .38, and can be used in mild .357 loads as well. But you won't fully realize the potential of the .357 with Bullseye. For that I use Accurate #9. I like the #9 because I can use standard small pistol primers, as opposed to having to use magnum primers. I like the simplicity that common components offers.
    GH1[:)]
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Widener's has wolf primers on sale, of course that hazmat charge can be a dealbreaker.

http://wideners.com/index.cfm
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D] Thanx guys-

I've been buying off the internet for years, but like you say Toolfogie, shipping now is murder--

I have a place in Nevada and in my travels back and forth (Ca/Nv), I stop at Cabela's in reno and "pickup" stuff

• gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Toolfogie
    Widener's has wolf primers on sale, of course that hazmat charge can be a dealbreaker.

http://wideners.com/index.cfm

Boy ain't that the truth! I thought about ordering a box of Buffalo Bore ammo but I can't justify spending $25.00, plus shipping, for a $20.00 box of bullets. Seems crazy to me.
    GH1[:)]
  • lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    HP-38/winchester 231 is a good broad range powder. I use it for all my pistol calibers 380acp, 9mm, 38spcl, 45acp

If your pistols have strong hammer springs you can use small rifle primers, but since springs get old stick with the pistol primers.
  • 207driver207driver Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jimbo,
    Yes you can use the rifle primers in pistol. I have used small rifle (standard) primers in .357 with good results. They perform similar to magnum primers so you have to adjust your loads accordingly, but with a full case of 2400 or Herco or other bulky powder they work well. As stated earlier, the cups are thicker and harder to withstand the higher pressures of rifle so some handguns may not fire them reliably, you will have to test your own to see.