In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Detonation ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a 'flashover' today with my BFR in 45/70. Primer lit, flashed over the powder, bullet lodged halfway in the cylinder and half in the barrel. Load was a federal Magnum large pistol primer, 32.5 grains of SR 4759 under a heavily crimped 300 grain JHP. Powder had a greenish tint to it when I broke down the round. This has NEVER happened to me in over 25 years of reloading. Primers and powder were new manufacture. I'm still stumped.
    10-15 years ago, I spoke with Homer Powley over the phone for about an hour. One of the questions I asked him was about detonation,( I was trying to work up safe smokeless loads for a 45/120). He told me in no uncertain terms that in all his years in the field he had never seen it. He also stated he'd never been able to duplicate it in the lab. Dave
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by torizus
    What is the general consensus among experienced loaders when it comes to "light loads" and so called detonation ? Does light powder volume versus remaining case volume increase the chances of a round detonating in such a manner as to spike pressure to the point of destroying a handgun?
    One example I was given is when a minimum powder load is shifted in a case such as when the barrel is pointed down and then the gun is fired, the position or lay of the powder can have several flash points thereby increasing pressure. Is this common ?

A lot of key points have been made.
    My consensus or 2 cents.

This is a razor blade issue. When you see factory "Reduced load ammo" this stuff is loaded, tested, over and over with known powders etc.

That means what powder are they using? is it fast or is it slow?
    Is it temperature sensitive?
    Barrel length Vs. Gas expansion time Vs. Bullet weight.

The bottom line is if you go to low, The bullet can and will become a cork. If that trapped gas cannot find an escape it will find the weakest point to vent.

I have seen over loads destroy guns.
    I have seen under loads destroy guns.
    I have seen Temp sensitive powders destroy guns.

If you go light work it Read the books! cross check manuals powder and bullet and primer!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All this hearsay doesn't mean diddly. Can I get some thermodynamics data and calculations? [:D] I think we need do do some quantifying. [;)]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    All this hearsay doesn't mean diddly. Can I get some thermodynamics data and calculations? [:D] I think we need do do some quantifying. [;)]

Lets start with your guns as as a bench mark.[:D]
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not recommend ground wood as a case filler. It is fairly heavy and will add to the mass of ejecta to be allowed for in loading. It will not burn under gun barrel conditions, it will blow out the barrel like it went in. It will be subject to packing and constriction in a bottleneck case.

Fillers I have heard of include Cream of Wheat, grits, shotshell plastic buffer, cotton, kapok, Dacron, toilet paper, cork, and caulk backer rod. I also every once in a while read of ringed chambers.

Therefore I do not load way outside the published data and I do not put non-gunpowder crap in my ammunition.