In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sticker Shock-Powder Prices

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
I bought a pound of H-4831SC yesterday,almost 32 bucks.Is that going rate or did I pay too much?

Comments

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $22.00 - $24.00 here. A friend with a small shop in his garage sells by the pound from bulk for $20.00 per pound, your container. Ed
  • hdcolt51hdcolt51 Member Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WOW $19-25 here in GA
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $18.95-$22.95 here in MT.

$32/lb is highway robbery.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb
    I bought a pound of H-4831SC yesterday,almost 32 bucks.Is that going rate or did I pay too much?

The fickle finger of fate got you right in the pocket book [;)]
    You got took for a extra $10 [:0][xx(]
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D] See my thread on Cabela's sale, my UNIQUE was $16.99/lb

[:o)][:o)] JIMBO
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saved an old Hodgdon can,some of the first powder I bought many years ago.The price sticker is still on it at 5 dollars.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its about 26 per pound here. I ordered a bulk load through powder valley this last time.
  • alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did you do ! Buy it at a gun show ?
  • RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Darn i gave a friend a 50 lb can of H-4831 this summer, but i have another can just in case. But i like it when he owes me a faver as he lives in Wyoming and knows of some great hunting areas. [:D]
  • kenthorkenthor Member Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powder runs about 16-18 bucks per pound. East central Wis. Ken
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess it depends on many things.

1)What would it have cost you to order that lb of powder and pay shipping and hazemat fees?

2)Is it a small shop that can't afford to order large quantities to get a break?

3)Did he buy it when powder was higher and refuses to price it at commodity?

4)What's everyone else in the area selling it for?

If you needed it, bought it and could not have gotten it for less in your area or by ordering, you didn't pay too much.
  • OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    quote:Originally posted by buddyb

The fickle finger of fate got you right in the pocket book [;)]
    You got took for a extra $10 [:0][xx(]

that is the going rate for H4831sc and other popular slow selling powders like RL22 ect.. at least here

we have one store in town that sells powder and for months they didn't have any. they restocked at peak prices and until that stock is moved we will have to pay 29.99 plus tax for 1lb of RL22 and other popular slow selling powders like it.

the fast moving powders like universal titewad and bullseye moved out quickly even at the peak prices and we can now buy at 19-22 per pound of those types of powders
  • 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a imr3031 can that has a 3.50 price tag on it. Wow if only
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another way to look at it: As log as I've been reloading (only 53 years now) powder has always sold for about an hour's wage. Back then, it was $1.50 a pound for non-surplus powders. I have cans with stickers verifying that. (Yes, the powder is still good.)

Powder recently went above what most blue-collar workers were earning, but it was temporary. Blame elections and paranoia.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.