In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rifle dies for 7mm-08

I have been reloading pistol rounds for years now but am just now getting into reloading for my Tikka 7mm-08. Since all the 7mm-08 ammo I reload will be for this gun, should I just buy the neck sizing die and bullet seater die set? And, would you guys recommmend the factory crimp die in addition to this set? Or, should I get the full length size die set and buy a separate neck size die?

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    never used a crimp die in all my time loading. If you want both FL and Nk sizing dies in one kit, try the LEE deluxe sets
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll want to at least have a FL die unless you plan to only start with factory fresh brass.

I know it is not a problem now, but 25+years ago 7mm08 ammo was hard to find in my area and expensive, brass was none existant. As a result 80% of my reloads used LC 69 brass.

Was seating the bullets to engage the rifling of my 788 so I never crimped.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You'll need an FL die at least some of the time. If you believe in neck sizing and want to do that, go right ahead and get that die also. You won't need a crimp die for a bolt gun at all.

Get a FL/Seat die set and add a neck die. That's how most of them are packaged. Lee offers sets with both type sizers, as mentioned.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BGHillbilly
    You'll want to at least have a FL die unless you plan to only start with factory fresh brass.

I know it is not a problem now, but 25+years ago 7mm08 ammo was hard to find in my area and expensive, brass was none existant. As a result 80% of my reloads used LC 69 brass.

I had a friend that used to reload like that too. Till the day he opened the bolt on a unfired shell and the bullet stayed in the throat and the gunpowder fell into the action.[xx(]
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All hunting ammo should be full length sized for reliable feeding and extraction. And a sporter weight rifle is unlikly to benefit from neck sized cases.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    quote:Originally posted by BGHillbilly

I had a friend that used to reload like that too. Till the day he opened the bolt on a unfired shell and the bullet stayed in the throat and the gunpowder fell into the action.[xx(]
    I rarely remove unfired rounds, almost always something around to shoot.
    Actually had to start seating a little deeper because I was bruising my palm when closing the bolt.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Redding offers die sets with both the FL and Neck sizing dies included.