In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Load Manual with 8mm Mauser 185 gr PSP Core-Lokt

flyingtorpedoflyingtorpedo Member Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm just starting to reload and I want a published manual that has load data using the Remington 185 grain PSP in 8mm mauser. It's not that I don't trust you all, it's just that because I'm a noob I want actual published data, and I'd like to have another manual as well. I know it most likely be JS pressure but I'd actually prefer the light loads because it's just for plinking and I'm nothing but skin and bone. Does Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd Edition have it? I was thinking about checking it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and have a SAFE and Happy New Year! [:D]

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flyingtorpedo,

The only thing they show is a 187 gr. bullet. Both loads for that are driven by Vectan powder.

I recommend going up in bullet weight and starting at the starting point of the next bullet weight up. You don't have to worry about underloading the case as long as you have at least 70% of the internal volume filled. You will no doubt get that with some of the slower powders listed. My personal suggestion is to start with 44 gr. of IMR4064 and work from there. You won't underload the case and you are not up near max.

If it were me attempting to do what you want I would see if Remington would give you a load. The best powder I've worked with for the 8mm has been IMR4064. For some reason in any of the 8mm's I've loaded for I haven't gotten 4350 to work as well. Anyways, check with them first.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have gone way beyond any manual for developing light loads in 8MM Mauser. Always work down from known data.
    I use various powders but for safety I recommend 4895 (I am sure 4064 would be as safe) because it is known to be fine at 60% capacity.
    4350-4831 etc can be dangerous with "air" in the cases so I stay away from light loads in such powders
    I have loaded down to 33gr 4895 with the 185PSP but found 35.5gr more accurate in my sniper rifle but the trajectory in like a howitzer. It chronographed at 1750FPS.
    I went to that to reduce recoil for German scopes ranging in age to 80 years or more to minimize shock.
    However I found and use in my SSR sniper 185gr PSP, 38.75gr IMR 4895, Fed 210 LR primer and FNM target cases to be a nice flat shooter for short ranges where I usually shoot it at 100 and 200 yard targets and there is little elevation change between 100-200
    Frankly I don't think I have ever heard of any published data for the 185gr PSP being Remington made that bullet for their 8MM Rem-mag.
    Not sure why someone does not print some data as we 8X57 shooters blast thousands of those in our 98 type likely more than anything loaded.
    Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    malbillymalbilly Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have been trying to get load data for the Remington 185gr. PSPCL bullet as that is the only size Cabela's carries, when they are in stock. I have contacted Remington twice over the past 6 months and they never reply. I have tried using 43 grains of IMR 4350 but the result was disappointing. I am now thinking of switching to IMR 4064 or IMR 4198. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sucks to hear you get no response out of Remington.[V] I was hoping to use the 185 gr PSP because they were the cheapest 8mm bullet I could find. I've got some data for 170 grain round nose so I just ordered a few hundred of them before the next price increase in a few days. It should keep me busy for a while, and burn up the IMR 4064 I have on hand. Thanks for the imput. [:)] I'll save the 185 gr PSP for when I have more experience reloading.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Use at you own risk...

I load 45 grains of Varget with the 185 Remington bullet, CCI 200 primer, assorted brass. Works well in most of my rifles, none show pressure signs.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    flyingtorpedo,

nononsense posted some outstanding information in another post. Someone was looking for 175 gr. loads. Anyways you don't need to be an 'expert' to load for the 8mm Mauser. You just need to find the right starting point and work up from there based on knowing how to read pressure signs. Heres the post:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=279164

It is safe to go with the next higher weight round and use those loads to work up. Also, in bigger bullets where 5 gr. of bullet is less than 5% of the total bullet weight it is considered acceptable to use that load information with no problem. You can reduce a grain though if that makes you feel better.

What I'm saying here is don't go and not buy the Remington PSP's because you can't find outright load data for them. It will be difficult as Remington makes a lot more on ammo so they don't publish loads. This bullet performs outstanding in the 8mmx57. Remington PSP's by the way are very accurate bullets. If I ever had complaints about Remington, this isn't one of them.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

I appreciate your input and advice. I know there is alot of "wiggle" room from the low published pressures vs the higher pressures that it was designed for. I did pick up a few of the 185 gr psp's in my order as well for later. Because I'm just starting to reload I would feel more comfortable if I stuck to the published data for the time being. Once I get some experience, and get comfortable with everything then I'll move on the the 185.

Thanks!
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used IMR 4064 and a charge weight half way between the start load for 170 grain and the 200 grain minus 5% in Winchester brass for starters. Stopped at a moderate load that was adequately accurate for my purposes. I tried the same load in European commercial brass and the start load was close to max in my opinion. The Remington 185 is supposedly designed for the 8mm Rem Mag so may be pretty stiff for the Mauser. I would say it will give a lot of penetration at reasonable 8mm Mauser velocities. My intended use was black bear at under 50 yards. I plan to try the Nosler 180 Ballistic tip for comparison when I get time.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Old post, but I find a start load of 42 gr of 4064 to a max of 46 works great. Right inbetween is the sweet spot for several of my guns- 44 gr of 4064, Win LR primer, 185 Remington PSP.

Got a bronze medal with this load at Perry this year.