In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H 380 and 30-06

Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
Ok so here is the load Remington Brass, CCI Large Rifle Primers, 150 Grain Hornady Round Nose on top of 49 grains of H-380. Now when i pull the trigger on my Remingtion 700 I can hear a distict "click" before the bang, normally when shooting factory ammo this doesnt happen...h-380 too slow? Says its safe in the book, or not enought powder to fill the case? Help! Thanks...btw it groups well at 100yds[:D]

Comments

• Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have much experience with h380 in the 06 but it works fine in 308 altho in my gun it shoots higher than every other powder. Shot my best groups with h380 but with the way it shoots high i figured that i was better off to find another powder that shoots good groups and if i ever run out of reloads i can run to the store and buy a box and not have to worry. As for the 06 i would suggest you try h414 from 56 to 59 grains and i'll bet you find a load that will be to your liking. Mine loves 58.5 gr with a 150 sp and will print under an inch anytime. no pressure signs in my rem 700.
  • Options
    Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    20gabob that had to be the most useless post ever...idc what your reloads are i want to know about mine, not anywhere in that post did i ask for groups of ppls rifles or load data i want to know if anyone had experience with my problem
  • Options
    Sparty83Sparty83 Member Posts: 141 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what it's worth... Speer #14 calls for a magnum primer when using H380 for their 150-grain offerings. They also list the start charge at 54-grs with a maximum of 58-grs. Nothing I have personnaly used.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've burned a lot of H-380 in 7mm Mau. and 30-30, all lit with a standard primer. (Win.) Never had a problem with it. You might want to check the strength of your striker spring or make sure it isn't hanging up on something in the bolt. I doubt the problem is the powder or the primers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thank you for for your comments. Remind self to never try to help you out again.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your load seems to be in line with recommendations. BUT I would look at your sizing of the reloads. Are your cases too small and the firing pin is "pushing" the case forward??? Try pulling some heads out of a factory round and refilling with your H380 and bullet. don't resize them. Just thinking out side the box..... Bob
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MrGunz,

I guess if you read 20guagebobs response you might have your problem figured out a little bit. See a pattern between the .308 and 30-06 on this one? And, FWIW, he's right IMO. Don't try using such a fast powder in such a big case. Ball powders have a hard time lighting off anyway without there being a whole bunch of room in the case. H-380 tends to be a better small/medium case powder, i.e. 22-250, 250-3000, .300 Sav. .308

Also, I responded on ATE forum. So, if you want, you can read my suggestions there.

Edit:

RE: XXCross,

It could well be contaminated primers. If you have some new ones or can get some new ones try them instead?
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no experience with H-380 in the 30-06 simply because it isn't even close to being the optimum powder for that Caliber . IMR-4350 , Win-760 a couple of the RLs 17 & 19 , H-414 there is a long list of better powders for the good old 30-06 .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    H414-Win760 equals same thing.