In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rook rifle loads

kbmolykbmoly Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hi all,

I'm a newbie here, and would like to ask for some help with a really new project gun. I've just come into a single shot rifle (24" BBL) in .32 S&W Long, and would like to put up some whisper loads for it, to use squirrel hunting. I'm thinking something on the order of 311291 (~ 170g) over a case as full of IMR 4227 or IMR 3031 as the seating length will let me get into the case.

If I happen to miss a squirrel, I want him to wonder at the size of the flies this year, not to take alarm at the blast and skeddadle while I'm reloading. Any thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a similar rook rifle (would like to see pic of yours/email me),
    but in caliber .300 Sherwood. Nearly identical ballistics to your 32.
    I tried squirrel hunting at 900fps, not enough punch. You would think just the bullet weight and dia would crunch squirrel bones and put em down...nope. Knocked them off the limb but they get back up. I detest shooting a squirrel and have 'em drag away...I want to eat em! So I upped the load, then upped some more, it wasn't till I reached 1400fps that I could count on squirrel stew. Well that put me out of subsonic and making noise exceeding a 22mag. I found 4198 powder to give good burn and case filling. Now if you could guarantee a perfect head shot everytime go for it.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    ".32 S&W Long"..........I would tink that those powders are way to slow for that sized case, even in a rifle. I'd try one of the slower pistol powders (unique, a.a. #6)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    ".32 S&W Long"..........I would tink that those powders are way to slow for that sized case, even in a rifle. I'd try one of the slower pistol powders (unique, a.a. #6)

We weren't trying to match the powder with the case volume. We are talking about going to a much slower powder than usual for the case because we were talking about using a bullet that is much heavier than usual.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jaegermeister's results (which I don't dispute) make me wrinkle my brows. I've never had any trouble with a 38 Special just knocking a squirrel off a limb - a 158 SWCL at 900 pretty much tears them in half. There can't be that much difference, I'd have thought. Unless your squirrels wear Kevlar, LOL!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I had the same problem with 38spl wad cutters, 148 gr. Knocks em off the tree but they get up, not all, but some, and I figure the squirrel deserves better. Our squirrels here are gray and fox. Whatever.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,200 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps I wasn't clear. All my experience has been that a 38 Special just about rips a squirrel in half. I've never had one get back up and run off. Assuming I hit it, that is.

I think if kbmoly finds an accurate load with that bullet, his rook rifle will perform about the same. Bullet stability might be a problem, but at squirrel ranges it might not be a huge issue. But there'll be what the boys in Mizzippi used to call "modanuff" for tree rats.

Pan fried squirrel with some greens, grits, pan gravy and hot biscuits. Man oh man ...
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well lets let him make up some loads for that 32, chronograph them and go hunting, proof is in the pudding or rather squirrel stew. I don't want to go off on a tangent and take this topic off target.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I am using the 115 gr SWC lead bullet. I think the 170 would be to heavy and would not stabilize. At 1050 fps it works great. At 100yds or less it is deadly. Shooting out of a modified Rem 580 SS.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    I am using the 115 gr SWC lead bullet. I think the 170 would be to heavy and not stabilize. At 1050 fps it works great. At 100yds or less it is deadly. Shooting out of a modified Rem 580 SS.

You may be right about stabilizing the 170g bullet. It was just a notion that I wanted to play with a bit. I ordered a 1-10 twist for my rifle, because I know from experience it can deliver fine accuracy with a wide range of bullet weights, even with very reduced loads. The normal twist for the .32 Long / Mag is a lot slower, and would be a lot less likely to work with the heavier bullet.

If it doesn't work out, I still have a LOT of ligher weight bullets that I KNOW will work. I just finished loading several boxes of .32 Long with 3118 (120g) and 313492 (85g) bullets, so either way it works, out, I suspect I'll be able to feed the rifle and annoy squirrels. (BG)

Dang rifle has been in transit to me for a full week now. I'm beginning to get a bit nervous.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    170 gr will probably work with a 1-10 twist. I tried round nose bullets they don't work nearly as well as the SWC.