In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

double charge results

1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
Posted on the internet http://iris.nyit.edu/~bithead/anaconda/ This could be a old story slowly making the rounds once again?

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Making the rounds again. See the "sticky" above by Nunn? It contained the same photos.

The story changes, but the photos remain the same.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    In the mid '70,s I was about three stalls down from a guy when the bang sounded wrong. The top strap from his S&W 27 ended up stuck in the wood overhang above him. We never foung pieces of the cylinder.
    He said he was sure he didn't double charge his load of bullseye [xx(]
    YEA, right [;)]
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well here's one of those "also ran" stories. Sometime in the early to mid 70's, the gun shop that I worked at sold a S&W M-29 (nib, 44mag) to a customer along with a box of Winchester ammunition. About a week later, the customer returned with the gun in it's factory box along with the unfired shells from the box of ammo. The M-29 was missing the topstrap and most of one chamber. The two leading chambers held fired shells but were also split. It was obvious that it was the third round that had caused the failure. The other three chambers still held the unfired factory ammunition.
    We packaged the whole works up and sent it to S&W with a letter of explanation. About four months later we received a package containing a M-29 and a letter instructing us to return it to the owner of the gun that was destroyed. (same SN) We complied. No other explanation was given. It wasn't until several years later while talking with the guy that was the local firearms wholesaler (and S&W rep) that this subject of blown up guns came up and we related this story to him. This was his response. He had heard (via the grape vine) that S&W had received back six M-29's, all with 41 cal. barrels marked 44MAGNUM.
    Hand loads and double charges aren't the only culprit in "blowups"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    41 barrel on a 44 frame [:p] me thinks it's time to go home and get my boots. 1st round causing a problem ok, but the 3rd round? Kinda like the fellow that caught a whale that had swallowed a kerosene lamp, when opened up the lamp was still burning[:D]
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    quote: 41 barrel on a 44 frame me thinks it's time to go home and get my boots. 1st round causing a problem ok, but the 3rd round?

I could see it happening. You have to remember that a 44 is really a .429, and the 41 is .410, making the real difference .019. Knowing that the maximum pressure isn't loaded in factory ammo, and knowing that the pistol can handle higher than maximum, I could see cracking occuring on the first few shots, and then the blowup.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was testing different loads for .41mag and 44mag....ended up with 5 rds of 41mag in my 44mag.....luckily the only issue was extraction of the brass from the cylinder...and they do bloat out[V]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1935Lee
    41 barrel on a 44 frame [:p] me thinks it's time to go home and get my boots. 1st round causing a problem ok, but the 3rd round? Kinda like the fellow that caught a whale that had swallowed a kerosene lamp, when opened up the lamp was still burning[:D]

Kind of hard to believe the proof loads did not blow up the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A long time ago I found out if you want some straight wall 300 winchester cases, just fire them in a 06[:I]
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bpost,
    This was during the period when Lear/Sigler owned the company and was trying to milk it dry. maybe they were taking "shortcuts", in any case, the first two rounds fired didn't blow the cyl. apart.
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    i was at the range with briar-49 last year shooting some 38sp reloads my brother did out of a colt police special. first however many shots went fine. then BOOM. gun didnt blow up but man did it kick. when i looked in the next lane over at briar he had this funny look on his face. guess the pistol belched out about a 4 ft flame.

dont know what the heck my brother did with those reloads but i ant shootin any more of them for sure.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember that. I was surprised the gun was intact.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are some powders that, for sure, if double charged will result in a blown up gun? Are there any that won't?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All of the smokeless powders will, unless the case was to full to seat the bullet
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gknaka2
    What are some powders that, for sure, if double charged will result in a blown up gun? Are there any that won't?

Bullseye
    Red Dot
    700X
    800X
    N-310
    Tite group
    Unique
    these come to mind as powders that are EASIER to double charge. It is very easy to get a mid-range load doubled in a large case and if not paying attention, seating a bullet on top, creating a bomb in your hand.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I split the cylinder on a Ruger Blackhawk 357 with a suspected double charge of RedDot about 30 years ago.
  • Options
    GONESHOOTINGGONESHOOTING Member Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    I was testing different loads for .41mag and 44mag....ended up with 5 rds of 41mag in my 44mag.....luckily the only issue was extraction of the brass from the cylinder...and they do bloat out[V]
    Done the same out of my Handi rifle , kick smoke in my face and sounded funny. Only happened once but kinda scared me.
    Now I make sure the two don't mix.[:D]