In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time to reset the dies

calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
I ordered Lee locking rings for my dies because I keep having problems getting the RCBS locking rings tight without stripping them. I'm putting Lee rings on all my dies.

Anybody else do this?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Not that problem in particular but I do prefer the Lee system. So I'm with you. You know, lots of folks do just the opposite- order RCBS rings for their Lee dies. Takes all kinds I guess.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer the RCBS locking rings for those cartriges that I dont every change bullets on. Saves a heck of a lot of time and trouble without the worry of setting dies every time I reload.
  • Options
    Gunman760Gunman760 Member Posts: 140 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually put a piece of lead shot in the set screw hole, and then tighten it down. That way it doesn't screw up the threads. Just my two cents on the subject. Terry
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or skip BOTH the LEE "rubber band" and the RCBS setscrew and go with the Hornady "split ring" style.

BGH
    Educate me on why you need to adjust the body ring when changing bullets? The seating stem lock, yes, but the body ring? The only time I ever touch my body rings (once the die is set) is when changing from special to magnum pistol cases (and if you get a spacer shim, you don't need to change it than)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    Or skip BOTH the LEE "rubber band" and the RCBS setscrew and go with the Hornady "split ring" style.

BGH
    Educate me on why you need to adjust the body ring when changing bullets? The seating stem lock, yes, but the body ring? The only time I ever touch my body rings (once the die is set) is when changing from special to magnum pistol cases (and if you get a spacer shim, you don't need to change it than)
    Depth of or lack of a cannalure which may effect crimping characteristics. Seems like there was another reason also but my somethimers is kicking in.

The split ring style is good too.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    AHH
    As I don't crimp rifles, as a rule, that explains why I haven't run into it.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And if you use a Co-ax press and can't use the Hornady split rings, there are also full round (I think RCBS??) rings that work the same way.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    I ordered Lee locking rings for my dies because I keep having problems getting the RCBS locking rings tight without stripping them. I'm putting Lee rings on all my dies.

Anybody else do this?

How in the world do you strip the RCBS lock ring?

If you back the die and ring off 1/8 turn, together after getting it set, then tighten the set screw with two fingers, it will never move........
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've replaced most my RCBS with the Hornady split rings. That shot idea might work. Only abour 1/2 of my RCBS brass puggs stripped, what a pain.

I know I've tightened them more than 2 finger tight and then when I unscrew them, I've seen the lock ring turn.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The lead shot deal works. It was part of the instructions in the old cardboard box RCBS die sets. It is no longer in the newer die set instructions or I'm overlooking it. Guess they changed operating instructions when they went to steel lock rings and brass set screws as opposed to AL rings and steel set screws which originally needed the lead to protect the threads.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

Anybody else do this?

If you back the die and ring off 1/8 turn, together after getting it set, then tighten the set screw with two fingers, it will never move........
    +1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

Anybody else do this?

+1

I'm not stripping the actual locking rings. The RCBS locking rings have a set screw to lock it in place. There is a fine line between getting it set and stripping the set screw. I have tried putting lead shot into it but that hasn't worked. I keep stripping the brass set screws and even then, the locking ring still moves.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    1) Go to a decent hardware store and purchase some steel setscrews
    2) While your there, purchase a quality allen wrench that fits those screws (cheap wrenchs are one of the two primary causes of stripping out the socket)
    3) Use only your thumb and forefinger on the short arm of the wrench when tightening (ham fisting is the second leading cause of stripping)

Alt methiod, purchase a 3/4" SHCS instead of a setscrew (this requires the use of the lead shot trick BTW). Stronger head and will also provide you a short handle to help break it loose from the press.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    1) Go to a decent hardware store and purchase some steel setscrews
    2) While your there, purchase a quality allen wrench that fits those screws (cheap wrenchs are one of the two primary causes of stripping out the socket)
    3) Use only your thumb and forefinger on the short arm of the wrench when tightening (ham fisting is the second leading cause of stripping)

Alt methiod, purchase a 3/4" SHCS instead of a setscrew (this requires the use of the lead shot trick BTW). Stronger head and will also provide you a short handle to help break it loose from the press.

What is a SHCS?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW See this.. http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=1607

But if they're steel, won't they must up the threads on my dies?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by babun
    SOCKET HEAD CAP SCREW See this.. http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=1607

But if they're steel, won't they mess up the threads on my dies?

You missed my note about using a steel screw: quote:this requires the use of the lead shot trick which prevents the steel screw from contacting the die threads
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use the lead shot or, Wilson sells the NYLON inserts to their dies, which work better and don't expose you to lead (I know, like that matters now).

If you don't want to jump through hoops the best way to get a die-ring secure is to go to the split ring type which doesn't *-up or leave brass on the threads and make it hard to change the ring setting.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornady split rings
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I found the Hornady rings after purchasing the Lee rings. If these don't work to my satisfaction, I'll try the Hornadys.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tommyjoe: BRILLIANT!!

On the Lee lock rings, when I get the die set where I want it, I put an index mark on the ring and the die body with a magic marker. I keep a wrench on a hook under the bench. When I use a Lee die, I make sure the index marks line up, snug up that hex die ring with the wrench and I'm good to go. Of course, you could also drill and tap a flat on the Lee ring, use tommyjoe's weed trimmer and a SHCS. It'd be cheaper than buying new lock rings (and isn't that one of the reasons we reload; because we're cheap?!).
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just being curious, why do you need to reset dies so often?

My 45ACP dies are from 1981. I set them to the RCBS Jr. press they were originally on, reset them again for the huge Herters C press and finally for the Lyman All American they now reside on, except for seating depth they never need adjusted...... In almost 40 years of reloading I have never stripped a lock ring...... tight is tight.

When removing a die from the press I grasp it with channel locks around the lock ring, never the die.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just being curious, why do you need to reset dies so often?

My 45ACP dies are from 1981. I set them to the RCBS Jr. press they were originally on, reset them again for the huge Herters C press and finally for the Lyman All American they now reside on, except for seating depth they never need adjusted...... In almost 40 years of reloading I have never stripped a lock ring...... tight is tight.

When removing a die from the press I grasp it with channel locks around the lock ring, never the die.

That's what I was doing and the lock ring would move. Since putting on the Lee rings, I haven't had any problems though. They stay perfectly in place.