In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cold =Bad Groups?

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
Just got back from the range (cold 10 degrees) shot my 221 fireball rifle. It shoots 1/2" this summer. It went to 3" today. No, I wasn't shaking that bad, I had good holds. Same loads, bbl. is still free floating, screws are all tight. Scope is not loose. ???? anyone have any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of powder are you using? Before I switched to Hodgdon Varget in my 22-250 I was using H380, and I was getting some wild swings from cold mornings to hot afternoon.

Temperature can also affect a steel barrel with expansion and contraction.
  • Options
    litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using Winchester 680
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by litetrigger
    Using Winchester 680

Well that's a problem.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D] Of course the powder/load is very important, but

If you are shooting ?" groups in the summer, then you have the hold/breathing/squeese down pretty good, but

If you're shivering--BINGO, the slightest quiver in your hold will throw off the impact point up to 2/3 inchs depending on velocity--

Try the same loads in a better situation-ie warmer/no wind/SOLID hold/less pressure on the grip-etc

Good luck

[:o)][:o)] JIMBO
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Think they quit making Winchester 680 about 30 years ago.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cold will make you lose velocity. Your 1/2" groups were all happening at a certain speed. When shooting in the cold, bump your loads up by .5 grains or so to make up the difference and you should be able to print the same groups then. You may have to play with it a little to find the sweet spot. I don't know anything about the powder you're using so it could take more or less. I'd try a half grain increase first and see what it does. You didn't chrono your loads in the summer time by any chance did you? If you did, get the chrony out again and duplicate the velocity that you were shooting before. Problem solved. And don't shiver. [:D]
  • Options
    207driver207driver Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for Midnight

The 'sweet spot' is dependent on velocity and some powders will give some large variations in performance with temperature. If you are near max pressures in winter, best reduce charge for summer. So what worked well during 80 or 90 degrees won't at -10
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the velocity changes with temperature, then I am thinking this could change the barrel harmonics and when your bullet is leaving the barrel and it is not leaving at the optimum moment.

Have you chronographed this load in the summer and then the winter?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try not cleaning the barrel b4 cold weather shooting.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If YOU are not the issue of the opened up cold weather groups you will PROBABLY need to change powder type or bullet weight or possibly both!
    (I would re-check at the warmer temps to MAKE SURE it's not something that has changed on the gun or scope and even try another scope first!

I've seen several rifles (you indicate yours is a pistol) of all different calibers have issues such as yours during cold weather or with a normal temp barrel the FIRST SHOT would not be at the same point as the following shots!
    When I see a first shot off target, and when testing and reloading I change the bullet weight up and down first and retest and if the bullet weight change don't correct the first shot flyer I start changing powders. During the final tests I fire one shot to the same target with no less than 8 hours between shots! Also make sure the barrel is not copper fouled!

Ive seen some very accurate rifles (very accurate after the first shot or very accurate with a warm barrel) that would not place the first shot on target! This will be a test of your reloading and testing patience![;)]
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    If YOU are not the issue of the opened up cold weather groups you will PROBABLY need to change powder type or bullet weight or possibly both!
    (I would re-check at the warmer temps to MAKE SURE it's not something that has changed on the gun or scope and even try another scope first!

I've seen several rifles (you indicate yours is a pistol) of all different calibers have issues such as yours during cold weather or with a normal temp barrel the FIRST SHOT would not be at the same point as the following shots!
    When I see a first shot off target, and when testing and reloading I change the bullet weight up and down first and retest and if the bullet weight change don't correct the first shot flyer I start changing powders. During the final tests I fire one shot to the same target with no less than 8 hours between shots! Also make sure the barrel is not copper fouled!

Ive seen some very accurate rifles (very accurate after the first shot or very accurate with a warm barrel) that would not place the first shot on target! This will be a test of your reloading and testing patience![;)]

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with part of this. If your cold bore shot consistently won't hit the target at all.... You're doing something wrong.