In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9x57 mauser

w.lacoew.lacoe Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
where can i get bullets for this thing? .365 Would like 200gr or less if available!

Comments

• Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Grafs - I use them for my 9.3X62. They have a few .366 diameter bullets listed:http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?q=&v=&s=asc&p=937
  • Options
    joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you sure about your measurement? Both of mine mike .357-.358.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    WHOA dude! A 9mm is NOT the same as a 9.3MM. You need .356 (or .358) dia. bullets for a 9x57.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    w.lacoe,

If you are measuring .365 on your bullets you have a 9.3x57 not a 9x57. I would suggest getting to a gunsmith to ensure what you have before chambering and firing it. No big deal if the 9x57 goes through a 9.3. But, if you can chamber and fire a 9.3 through your 9 then there is a serious problem.

Edit:

To answer your original question, I'd be very willing to bet the rifle came from Sweden and was made by Husqvarna. The same people who make outstanding chainsaws, motorcycles and sewing machines. A division of theirs, Abu Garcia, makes fishing equipment. Well known for it's outstanding quality.

The rifles came on the market a few years ago when the anti-gunners of Sweden got into power and decided to tax the crap out of guns in that country. Many Swedes gave up their guns rather than pay the tax. They then hit the international market. Sarco has been selling these in the $200-$500 dollar range depending on condition. My personal opinion is that these are pretty high quality rifles. I know my Husqvarna 9.3x62 is an outstanding rifle. I hope you hang on to this rifle as is and find or reload for it. It will give you a lot of good service.
  • Options
    w.lacoew.lacoe Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i totally messed that up. the original bullets miked @ .356
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    " i totally messed that up. the original bullets miked @ .356".......THEN YOU DO HAVE A 9X57MM, SARCOINC.COM DID HAVE SOME ORIGINAL KNOCH AMMO FOR THIS BUT I DON'T KNOW IF THEY STILL DO. THIS WAS USE IN AFRICA A BUNCH. THE LIGHTEST FACTORY AMMO YOU ARE LIKELY TO FIND WILL BE >250 GNS. IF YOU RELOAD YOU CAN USED .357 PISTOL BULLETS, OR 35 CAL. RIFLE BULLET. SOME LOADING DATA CAN BE FOUND IN CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD. KEEP THE LOADS ON THE MODERATE SIDE AS THE BULLETS ARE SLIGHTLY OVER SIZE.
  • Options
    dutchwinddutchwind Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buffalo Arms in Idaho has .356 bullets in 250gr for this cartridge. You can use 8x57 cases with a 9mm expander/neck sizer die; the shoulder's the same in both. Good round; it'll take anything this side of Africa, and almost anything there--which is where it had its greatest popularity. Rimmed version was used in a lot of double rifles. I got a bunch of the Kynoch 245gr ammo and use the pulled bullets; 47gr of 4064 shoots nice in mine at about 2200-2250ft/sec. Ackley went to 50 grains with 250's, but his rifles were half a century younger'n mine. By the way, mine miked .358, but .358 bullets showed pressure signs much too soon for my liking.
    mind yer topknots! windy
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    9X57 Mauser:

Parent case 7.92x57mm Mauser
    Case type Rimless, bottleneck
    Bullet diameter 9.1 mm (0.36 in)
    Neck diameter 9.8 mm (0.39 in)
    Shoulder diameter 10.9 mm (0.43 in)
    Base diameter 11.9 mm (0.47 in)
    Rim diameter 11.9 mm (0.47 in)
    Rim thickness 1.3 mm (0.051 in)
    Case length 56.8 mm (2.24 in)
    Overall length 81.0 mm (3.19 in)
    Rifling twist 350-400 mm (1 in 14-16 inches)
    Primer type Large rifle

Do a chamber cast and compare.
    Good luck
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Since we are nearly at the ten post limit here in Ask The Experts, I'll toss this one over to the the boys in the reloading forum for further discussion.