In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sporting clays

BMWK1200sBMWK1200s Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
I would like to start shooting clays.I shoot most pistols and rifles. Everyone I speak to says get a O/U! Which is fine by me. But how do I figure out which one. I don't have the time to try the different makes. Like I am advised.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Find the one that fits you (go to the gun store and mount several different ones). The "right" one for you is the one that feels right in your hands and has your eye lined up with the beads when you mount it (no "scrunching).

Unlike a rifle, there should be no conscious "sighting", the barrel needs to be pointing where you want it the instant it hits your shoulder (pick a spot on the wall, close your eyes and mount the gun, open your eyes and see if the beads form a "snowman" that is aligned with your pre-selected spot.)
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Since no one else has replied, my 2 cents:

In addition to what Tailgunner states, stay with a name brand. Hard to go wrong with SKB, Bretta, Browning. You can have any of these "fit" to you.

I would look for a "sporting" gun instead of a field gun, must have a rib, and screw in choke system. Double bead is common and helpful. Don't need a 3 to 3 1/2" mag shell as most games are with 2 3/4". Ejectors vs. extractors are your choice, some models will do either.

Best of luck
  • Options
    BMWK1200sBMWK1200s Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you for your input. My problems seems to be that I am looking at two models that are hard to put your hands on 1)Winchester 101, 2) Superposed! Beretta is on the list also(it is easy to try).
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    May I suggest you start out at plain old Skeet and when you are getting good scores there, do some work on Trap. The target presentations are standardized and you can learn the basics. Sporting Clays courses value novelty and can be tough to handle if you are not already a pretty good shot.

If you are a AA shooter at Trap and Skeet or have a large budget for professional training, move on.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is a Winchester 101 Select. This O/U is a Classic. It is very nice & at an excellent price. The seller is a great guy as well![:D]

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=201274754
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    101 is a great starter and can be used right through becoming an expert. One Beretta to look at is the new 686 E with the adjustable stock. My "understanding" is that you can use it as cast off or cast on and change the point of aim with the adjustable stock.

Best bang for the buck is SKB, but I do love my Beretta's (I shoot 682 Gold E's). Can't go wrong with either of your selections.

Hawk has the right idea, shoot some skeet and trap first, then sporting clays.

Best of luck
  • Options
    candooguncandoogun Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are serious about shooting sporting clays, a browning 425,525,or 625 are as good as you can get for the money, and you will have no problem having it repaired . The first thing you should do is have the gun fitted to you. Then start shooting .
  • Options
    brotus2brotus2 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's my take. Go find an old Winchester Model 97 (pump) that's a semi beater. If you can get good with that, you'll be great with an O/U.

I shoot (only) skeet with my beater 97 and have a drawer full of 25 and 50 patches. I just got my first 100 patch about a month ago. People are always asking me if they can shoot a station with it.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    single shots kick.
    pumps are single shots that repeat. they kick.
    sbs's kick.
    o&u's are sbs's on top of each other...and kick.
    semi autos reduce recoil.

the more lead shot thrown, the more recoil.

now....lets try this:
    1. how much money you want to spend?
    2. how much money do you want getting the gun to fit you?
    3. what do you want to shoot? skeet? trap? or sporting clays?
    4. how far does your shot need to go? (must get the right chokes.)

do you want new or used?

every gun you mentioned kicks.

how tall and heavy are you?
    the bigger you are, the less kick youll feel.
    if the gun isnt fitted, it will kick even more.

can you see where im going with this?

shotguns like shoes, are fitted to the owner. its why there are so many different types.

its not an easy thing to do...buying a shotgun. you really need to be coached thru it.

shotguns will eat your wallet. be advised.

dont overlook the best american shotguns ever made either. remington 3200 and ruger red labels. very inexpensive guns that will hold value and resell....for when you want to fit into something new some day.[;)]

bottom line...good guns will be around 1000.00. anything less, beware.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot with Matt Dryke at the Sunnydale Shooting Range in
    Washington and learned one thing from him, well many things from him. But what I learned was no single gun fits any specific person, use what you feel comfortable with, not what others like. Matt Dryke is a Olympic Gold Medal Winner in Skeet Shooting in case you don't know him. All Army also!