In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question

i'm almost read to start buying the equipment needed to start reloading. but i do have a question or two for you guys.

1) for a beginner, what press and other equipment do you recommend?
2) my pistol is a 9x18 mak round, is there a huge difference from a 9mm and can i just buy 9mm cases and cut them down? or are the cases the same and the projectile the difference?
3) of course i'll start at the low end and load higher as i progress, but what powder is good for a beginner? and as i progress?
4) should i load other calibers as well for practice purposes, even though i personally don't own them? my current calibers are 9x18 and 7.62x54r
5) i'm currently building a bench in my garage for this specific purpose. what other equipment/hardware should i invest/build?

thanks for your time.

chris

Comments

• Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Has anybody ever put loaded ammo in a tumbler to clean it?
    I would not think this to be very smart, but then i'm not to smart anyway. I've been thinking about trying it.
    Guess i could decap it all then polish it. Then reload it.
    What do you guys think?
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have accidently done it, would not recomend it at all, feeling very lucky to not have one go off yet. There is story's of ammo going off when transported in cloth bag and set down to hard. So could very well happen in tumbler. If you do it what hospital do I send flowers to?
  • Options
    Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Don't send flowers send food. Hospital food is the worlds worse.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have not HAD to do this as I clean cases first. However I know pistol shooters that do this with ALL their reloads Thousands a year and never had a problem.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    This has been hotly debated here before.

Many major manufacturers do this as a final step to make their product look good.

I've done it on occasion. Never an issue.

There are 2 supposed concerns. 1 is that the primer will go off. I don't see that happening. Primers need to be struck with some force to go off. The more likely concern is that the tumbling action will break down powder kernels and alter burn rate. I'd say that's more possible, but I've never seen it (and shot over a chrono vs. untumbled to verify). I'd not have issue with doing so in general, but wouldn't overdue it for hours.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,207 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The counterargument to the broken-down powder theory is that ammo can be transported in vehicles for years and never have a problem, despite all the vibration.

BTW, as a general observation: If the question begins with "Has anybody ever...?" the safe bet answer is "Yes."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tumble every single round I have ever loaded.
    So does every major ammo mfgr.

There have been many studies and there is no degradation of powder as some interwebz "experts" state.

Please quit spreading this falsehood.

CP
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think with some planing you can avoid tumbling your loaded ammo.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A vibrating type cleaner would certainly be safer then a rotating tumbler, especially with pointed bullets. It still sounds dangerous.
    Don't believe I'd risk it - just my two cents.
    Good luck.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I have and would do so again.

Just keep the tumble time short.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep, keep the time short. The right amount of time while vibrating will erode the coatings on the powder that control burn rate.

Ammo in a truck for years is not the same as ammo Vibrated at a frequency for some period of time.

I personaly don't do it, I clean my brass before loading and wear latex gloves when loading, therefore my loaded rounds are as shiny as the tumbled brass.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    yep, keep the time short. The right amount of time while vibrating will erode the coatings on the powder that control burn rate.

Ammo in a truck for years is not the same as ammo Vibrated at a frequency for some period of time.

I personaly don't do it, I clean my brass before loading and wear latex gloves when loading, therefore my loaded rounds are as shiny as the tumbled brass.

Not correct
    I got to be involved in some studies at the Remington plant in Lonoke in my younger days.
    After 2 WEEKS in the tumblers, there was ZERO change in the powder or ammo

Please quit spreading these rumors unless you have some data.
    And there isn't any

CP
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no data from my own research, only what I have heard in reloading conversations in several areas over the years. some benchrest guys tried it and said they saw a difference in accuracy.

post your data please.
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with JustC - no traceable finger prints on my unpoliced brass either - just kidding....
    I reload new brass in this order:
    Full length resize
    Tumble clean
    Trim to lenghth & chamfer mouth
    Uniform flash hole
    Uniform primer pocket
    Prime, charge and seat bullet - with gloves
    Wipe with soft cloth and store.
    This method always produces optimum results in my firearms.
    Always looks better then factory new.
    If I missed anything please reply.
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    HeavyGrainHeavyGrain Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone have load data on the 357 Max using Herco
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This topic was discussed on ASK THE EXPERTS forum last May under the heading CLEANING OLD AMMO. Manufacturers can tumble loaded ammo under controlled conditions as they can test the results safely, something not possible by hobbyists, who would have no idea of what might not be safe. I inquired of Hornady Tech and Federal Premium as to their advice. The upshot: NEVER do this/not recommended. I suggest a check of the archived pages of the ASK THE EXPERTS forum dated 5/4/10 for the verbatim comments.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have done it once but for a very short period. It is not really recommended.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I re-sized once before
    tumbling and will
    never do it again.
    Cleaning the brass
    is my first step in reloading.
    I once spent a bit of
    time with a toothpick clearing
    flash holes free of media.
    Ain't no fun
  • Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!!!!! WHAT AN ABSOLUTE STUPID QUESTION!
  • Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever heard of STATIC ELECTRICITY!