In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

target rifle velocity?

annmarieannmarie Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
Hi, can some-one tell me the muzzle velocity for a sierra matchking 44.1 varget from a 308 target rifle with a 30inch barrel? This query is on behalf of my dad, I hope I have provided the correct info to get the correct answer! thanks

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is impossible to tell.

Each rifle is a beast onto itself. The chamber, throat, bore imperfections, bore size, bore smoothness and many other variables make it impossible to know without shooting that gun, using that load, over a chronograph. It is not uncommon for two rifles shooting the same load to have 200 FPS differences in MV.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What weight Matchking?
    I get 2654 fps from 44.0 gr Varget and a 175 gr SMK out of a 28" .308 Pac-Nor barrel. A tenth of a grain of powder is not going to make a whale of a lot of difference. Two inches more barrel will probably put Dad up around 2700 fps.

I don't use the 168 gr bullet and cannot help if that is what he is loading.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    annmarie,

Just a question. Have you shot at various ranges with the same zero? You can get pretty close to what your velocity is if you have say a 100 yd. zero and either how much you were low @300 or had to come up @300 (200 might work as well, but maybe not quite as accurate)
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy or borrow a chronograph and you will have your answer. Every rifle is different.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Annmarie, first a warm welcome.

I'm going to assume that we are discussing the Sierra 168-grain bullet. If so, using Hodgdon data and interpolating a little bit, I think it's safe to say that your Dad's load is developing somewhere in the 2600 to 2650 fps range - possibly a bit more, but not much over 2700 if any.

To get a more exact reading, he'd have to shoot over a chronograph and measure the speed. But I think that the 2600-2700 range is probably good.

I hope that helps.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    just a guess....tell me if I am wrong or even close......3100 FPS
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    9.8 m/sec

Granted, that is down (not forward) but it is accurate.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Not only is every rifle different, but each powder and primer lot is different. Even with matchkings you are looking at a grain difference or two from the lightest in the box to heaviest. Brass capacity and make and neck tension impact velocity. Temperature. Etc.

Somewhere between 2500 and 3000 fps, I'd wager my hat and house on it. [:D]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,199 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He's not getting anywhere near 3000 fps from a 308, folks. Even with a 30-inch barrel, maximum is about 2800 -- and he's not using a maximum load.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    dave vdave v Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 44.0 grs Varget behind a 168 Gr SMK and get 2750 FPS in a AR-10