In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Picking up &#^%!@ brass ideas...

gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
Ok gang. I am tired of scooting around the range floor (indoor range, concrete floor) looking like a cross between a duck and a crack addict in an effort to collect at least 75% of my brass.

I am looking for a device that I can use (like a pooper scooper or something) that will pick this up without bending down and losing all sense of dignity. It also has to be portable enough to fit in my range box. I was thinking maybe something based on a 3-pc shotgun cleaning rod would work.
Wanted to hear what you guys have made or invented for this.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used the wife for a brass scrounger, three of them have not made the grade, they missed too many........[;)][}:)]

There is a brass catcher thing that springs open when pushed down on the brass, it looks sort of like a wire whisk with a long handle.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My wife is too much of a princess to bend down...[:D]
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you ever seen one of these? I haven't, but looks like it could work. Seems like a pretty low capapcity for cases though. Maybe a home made one could hold more.
    http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1310
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    take a look at www.BrassMagnet.com. I have one, it works great
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can't put anything on the floor...I'll take the girl though
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you are shooting Bulls-Eye you can buy a BRASS CATCHER. For lack of better term this is a Net like device.that sets between your pistol box and the shooter on your right or wall when the pistol ejects the empty the net will catch it. I can give you the name of a very good maker but would have to go down to my shop . My suggestion is to look at WWW.Champchoice.com and contact Homer at this site. ask him about any Bulls-Eye products you want and get them to send a Catalog . This and Champions shooters supply both cater to Bulls-eye shooters at Camp Perry and also have a shop they sell out of all year. Get Rule Book from both NRA and CMP. to avoid buying something that you will not be allowed to use at a match. you will find that for the most part good shooters will be very glad to help you . Even Brian Zines the current 10 time National champion has a Web site
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I like your idea Bruce. Something like a tennis ball hopper. The capacity would not have to be large because the people at my range are sweep happy and I pick up after every 2-3 mags of .45
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a new pooper scooper. Looks like an aluminum dustpan with a long handle 90 degrees from the pan and a broomstick with an aluminum paddle at the end.

The pan lays flat and just push them in. (Except my 91 which throws them 15 yards downrange)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok I just thought of this...no one laugh. Small coffee can upside down with an "X" cut in the soft plastic lid. Hole drilled in the bottom for a 3pc shotgun rod with a nut to keep it in place.

"Kaching, Kaching" the brass would go in, but wouldnt come out, sort of like a wasp trap. To empty, simply remove the lid

Take it apart and throw it in my MTM range box.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    Have you ever seen one of these? I haven't, but looks like it could work. Seems like a pretty low capapcity for cases though. Maybe a home made one could hold more.

That is the contraption I saw being used. It picked up .45 brass, slicker than snot on a door knob!
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any problems with brass collection. I use a new fangled device called a revolver.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The only other handgun I own is also a revolver. Open, push, dump, done...love it
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as I love my 1911's I never found more than 6 out of 7. Yep with wheel guns I spend my time shooting instead of looking for brass. Perhaps you rig up a wind sock on a tripod to catch that flying brass. And any training with an autoloader is done with High Sandard HD Military or the Mark II Ruger
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    It can be done but only one shooter has ever broken 2600 in a NRA bulls-eye match shooting revolvers . "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    90% of what I shoot is rimfire and there are some scrappers that are cleaning up daily. I don't reload but I try to save CF brass, but I also usually take one of my kids to the range with me, so they do the picking up...
  • Options
    kshockkshock Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a hinged dust pan on a stick (long handle)with the little broom like the ones used in stores and restaurants. Thats what we use, just sweep them into the pan and dump the pan in a bucket with a screen that has sqaures that allows debris to fall through but small enough to stop the brass, brass stays on the screen for you to pick out.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    just start shooting that russian steel cased stuff, all you need is a magnet.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I'm only shooting for practice, I use a little net device that attaches to my right hand across the palm. It catches 90+% of my brass. When I'm doing load development off a rest, I set up a cardboard box to my right. I fold up the bottom flap so brass doesn't roll out. That catches virtually all the spent brass.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by badchris

That is the contraption I saw being used. It picked up .45 brass, slicker than snot on a door knob!

I watched a couple vids on youtube. It looks alright, but not sure I want to spend $45 for one. Guess I'll keep doing "sqats" at the range!
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $60 w/shipping[:(]
  • Options
    alan selfalan self Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't you use one of those grabbers that fold up? They have them at wally world for about $10
  • Options
    edited November -1
    do you have a link? ...and what is "wally world"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He means Wal-Mart, and the device is meant for disabled folks to grab stuff off high shelves or the floor. It would work - one piece of brass at a time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does no one think my $5 coffee can idea will work?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It might, but the problem is going to be that the flat bottom edge of the can will hit the floor before the case can push past the "fingers" of your slit. The case will just sit there and not push up inside the can.
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    It might, but the problem is going to be that the flat bottom edge of the can will hit the floor before the case can push past the "fingers" of your slit. The case will just sit there and not push up inside the can.

Plus if it did work on level concrete, it would probably not work at all on grass or dirt unless the case happened to be resting on a little mound. That almost never happens, they usually find the deepest darkest crevices to hide in.[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    True and noisy as heck. I may rethink my idea...
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the local hardware stores for a pecan pickup tool .Uses spring steel fingers to allow pecans to slip thru them into a collection hopper . Havent tried it on brass but might just work
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lay out a 10x10 tarp. Shoot weapon to where the brass hits the tarp in the middle. Pick up tarp by the corners, pour into container.
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is really no substitute. Unless you choose to leave it.

You must be humble and pick it up.