In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 creedmore question

jdr308jdr308 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
Just wondered if anyone is shooting the creedmore - and if so, what kind of accuracy are you seeing with this cartridge.? Also how is the recoil.? barrel life expectancy? I am trying to decide what caliber to order. and want a rifle in the 6mm-6.5mm range. they seem to have excellent accuracy.. I originally wanted a 6.5x284 but from what Ive found the barrel life isnt very long.. I will mostly be punching holes in paper and want a EXTREMELY accurate rig..

Comments

• Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a buddy using that cartridge now instead of the .284. He loves it. I will ask him about the barrel life ,but He is a little too "intense" for a realistic answer. he changes barrels out like I change socks !. Here is 5 pages of reading for you.....
    http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/?p=1
    It shoots as well as his other 1000 yard guns.

Bob
  • Options
    jdr308jdr308 Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, that was a great article.! I would be interested to hear feedback from how your friend likes his if you get a chance to ask him.. I had a chance to read some other pages on the web also-but most were from gun writers.. Not that I dont believe all they say about the cartridge- but.... Its allways nice to have real world opinions from people who own the rifles and not from someone getting paid to give positive outlook on a new caliber..
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jdr308,

The cartridge in not the sole determining factor for accuracy. In fact, you the shooter usually has the greatest impact on accuracy. You can put a superbly crafted, accurate rifle in the hands of an average shooter and watch average groups develop. I've seen excellent shooters take an average rifle and manage to shoot some above average groups.

The rifle itself with all of it's components, the scope with the base and rings, ammunition, environmental conditions, trigger, let alone headspace and chamber condition, all contribute to accuracy. Even things you don't consider such as the firing pin spring, the firing pin hole in the bolt body and the cams themselves have a bearing on the accuracy of an individual rifle.

Setting this discussion aside, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a fine cartridge which has been demonstrated to have a high potential for accuracy so long as the above factors are at their highest level. If you've read the multitude of discussions and opinions on the internet, you already know that the recoil is mild and barrel life can be substantial if the rate if fire is controlled.

The two biggest factors going for this cartridge besides accuracy and barrel life are:

- High quality factory ammunition suited to competition.

- Some factory support in the form of rifles chambered for the cartridge. This includes Ruger, Savage, DPMS and the Tubb 2000. Savage and Hornady even have a competition long range shooting team using the cartridge.

If you want an 'EXTREMELY accurate rig' then you really should have a custom rifle built in order to take advantage of all of the nuances available. Do not skimp on the glass, rings or base. Let the rifle builder help guide you through the selection of components but be sure to specify the stock and fit since 13-1/2" length of pull is not necessarily for everyone. Don't overlook the current crop of 'chassis' stocks either.

After shooting several cases of Creedmoor ammunition in 4 separate custom rifles, I have come to the conclusion that this is an above average cartridge. However, the performance lags behind a couple of other cartridges in the same category, namely the 6BRX and the 6XC. I have less drop and drift with these two cartridges given similar barrel lengths and load development.

Barrel life is a topic for the gun writers and armchair critics to debate. Barrels are an expendable commodity as far as I'm concerned. If a barrel lasts one season of competition, I'm happy. If it doesn't, I still have to change it out and move along. I'm testing a 6.5WSM (Leopard, Rock, whatever) this winter but I sincerely doubt the barrel will last more than a few months. When the accuracy falls off, I'll replace it. Yes they are expensive so you need to decide the level of involvement with your equipment.

I'm also running the 6BRX in a bolt rifle and an AR15 platform for some competitions. If your intention is for the best performance and accuracy, I might suggest some more research before making an expensive decision.

Best.