In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New brass problems??

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Got a 22-250 for christmas and decided to get ready to start shooting it. I usually always go out and buy a few boxes of factory ammo to get the gun sighted in, however this time I went out and bought new brass. The brass is new unfired Winchester 22-250 brass that comes in the white and clear plastic bag. When I got home I took some brass out and was going to use my Sinclair flash hole deburring tool on them. I was unable to get the tool started at first then I used the case mouth debur tool and was able to get it started. I still can't get the flashole tool into the case, I think that it is only going down to about the top of the shoulder. Should I keep trying or should I load some up and loosen them up? Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All new brass should be full length sized first before loading. The neck diameter will be about .220 after sizing but will be all uniform. If the deburring tool doesn't enter easily, you can load and shoot or use a .224 expanding mandrel.
  • Options
    thebambam2001thebambam2001 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    Got a 22-250 for christmas and decided to get ready to start shooting it. I usually always go out and buy a few boxes of factory ammo to get the gun sighted in, however this time I went out and bought new brass. The brass is new unfired Winchester 22-250 brass that comes in the white and clear plastic bag. When I got home I took some brass out and was going to use my Sinclair flash hole deburring tool on them. I was unable to get the tool started at first then I used the case mouth debur tool and was able to get it started. I still can't get the flashole tool into the case, I think that it is only going down to about the top of the shoulder. Should I keep trying or should I load some up and loosen them up? Thanks.

Todd
    Try some winchester supreme ballistic tip in 55 grain--meow![;)][;)]
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can do it without the mandrel, just kiss the primer packet. That's how I used to do it in the old days with a plain old 4" center drill in a drill press with tape around the center drill as my mandrel.