In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lever Action rifles

karndogskarndogs Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I'm sure everyone has their favorite brand, but I would just like to get some discussion going as to what the various pros and cons are to each brand. My step dad is a gun dealer and he insists that Marlins are the way to go. As I've never owned or shot a lever action, I'm curious to learn more about them. I've been wanting to purchase one lately and have been taking his (step dad) word on it and the 336 30-30 looks like the one I've set my eyes on right now. I'd also like to know what your favorite calibers are and why.

Thank you for your replies.

Comments

• Options
    karndogskarndogs Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just realized that I was in the competition and reloading forum. Mods, if this is not appropriate for this forum, I understand and apologize.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    It'a a matter of opinion. Some like Winchester and others like Marlins. Personally I like my marlins. The guts don't come out when racking them. I have them in 30-30, 357mag, 44mag, 22lr. Have had 45-70, 32-20. Like them all.

And yes this post should be over in "Ask the experts" forum.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a similar thread in the ATE forum not too long ago.

For pistol cartridges, I have both Marlin and Winchester 92 clones. For mounting scopes, the Marlin is the way to go. For carry and feel, I prefer the 92's.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I'll vote Marlin........in .35 rem.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Having six rifles in 30-30, I'll take the 336 every time for deer hunting.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm different on my opinion. But I feel there is one lever head and shoulders above the rest.

Savage 99, too bad its out of production. Twenty years ago they were dirt cheap.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester model 88[:D][:D][:D] and the marlins are my two favorites. My favorite caliber would have to be the 30-30 because it is a good all around hunting round. Look at the marlin 336 bl (Big Loop) when you purchase your gun. Its great if you have to wear gloves when hunting[;)]. Oak
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only one I have, Pre 1964 Win 94 in.30-30

quote:I'd also like to know what your favorite calibers are and why.
    In a lever gun-
    The .30-30 has probably taken more deer and game in the history of the USA than any other cal.

Some may challenge that statement, But I am willing to bet it's in the top 2.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    As much as I love the Marlin 336, there is something really special about the Savage 99 in 300 Savage, great cartridge, accurate rifle and you could use pointed bullets.

But if your looking for a bit more ompfh it is really hard to beat the Marlin 1895 in 45/70, I like the rifle, but I love the cartridge, there is just so much you can do with a 45/70, from 300 gr LRN's over 16gr of trailboss that my 10 year old daughter can shoot to rip snorting 500 gr solids over ungodly amounts of Varget that approximate 458 win power levels, it is just so much fun to load and shoot for the old 45/70
  • Options
    uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone going to consider the browning BLR? browning BLR in a 358 winchester. You can use pointed bullets and they have a take down model for easy traveling. They come in long and short calibers as well as a lot of the short mags. my .02
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I really "Fit" my Marlin 336 in .35 REM - it shoots so nice, does what I ask, and looks great, too. I got it used and abused - it was a "Truck Gun" - I loan it out, and they want to buy it. It is just a great shootin Iron.
  • Options
    woodchuckjohnwoodchuckjohn Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Savage model 99 is the classiest of them all and it'll take scope.The 300 Savage round was developed to compare to the 30/06 and for bigger North American game it'll take a 200 grain bullet. A very versitile rifle also in .243, 308, 358 and 250/3000 et al.
  • Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first new rifle was a Win Mdl 88 in .308. Very accurate, killed elk and deer easily (why'd I ever sell it???!!!). Because of its accuracy, it almost demands a scope, which reduces the "handy" factor. I actually shot out the barrel, thanks to lots of cheap NATO ammo and several Idaho prairie dog communities (well, I was younger and hardier then).

My favorite elk rifle was a .348 Win Mdl 71. Because of the price of ammo, that's the gun that got me started in reloading. There's a great deal of satisfaction in dropping an elk using a cartridge loaded by and with a bullet cast by ones self. You can still find these occasionally, but they are getting harder to find, and you probably still ought to reload for them.

Maybe 15 years ago, got a really good deal on a '70s era Win 94 30-30, which, because everyone said was a post-64 crappy rifle, I was planning on immediately flipping it. I added a Williams receiver sight to maybe spiff it up enough to speed up the re-sell, but then made the mistake of shooting it. It did then, and still does, put 5 shots into a 4" circle at 100 yards. Hornady Lever Evolution cartridges do the same thing, only 3" higher, and 250 fps faster. For me, it seems easier to carry than the 336, but maybe that's just me.

And to replace the .348, I bought a Marlin 1894 in 45-70, 22" barrel for a couple of years, and replaced it with 18.5 guide gun a few years later. The above posts are right: it's surprisingly a very versatile cartridge.

I've shot, but never owned, a Savage 99. Lovely rifle; I suppose .308 is the smarter choice, but two guys I know in Alaska carry spool magazine rifles in 300 Savage, and swear by them. Both were equipped with peep sights where the rear scope mount would live, and both guys swear the combination is more reliable, dirt-free, etc. than any other rifle.

Well, that cleared that up!!!
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This question is very tough to anwser , 1st because all of the rifles mentioned are all very good rifles , the 336 , 94 , 99, 88 , and the BLR . I have at one time owned one of each , less the BLR , and they all shot great , now I don't even own one [:(] , sold em all and started hunting with the Rem 760's [8)]

If I had my choice of any of the above , I'd have to take the 88 in 284 win ( for the value of it ). If I had to hunt with any of the above , it would be the 336 hands down in 30-30 , but thats just for myself , and my needs of a hunting rifle ( others may/will vary ) .

An older gentlemen at our locale gun club has a 99 in 284 win , that I load ammo for , he told me when he gives it up ( hunting that is ) the rifle will be mine for the right price , I'v been trying to buy it from him for more then a few years now .

Bottom line , if its a lever gun your wantin ,you can't go wrong with any of em !!!!
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you need to consider if you want a lever for what a lever was originally invented. A quick,easy to carry, large magazine capacity rifle. All of the above mentioned levers are the evolution of the lever and in calibers and accuracy to match any rifle. But there is the original design and reproductions that retain the easy to carry, short, side load, large magazine capacity levers. No ,they won't shoot along side the rifles mentioned above but do offer that original lever experience.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I've got , 357 Cb;45 Cb
    (2)35rems and 444 for Marlins
    and although I like my little
    Winny 94 . Marlin all the way.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, and I forgot. I also have Browning Low Walls in .38/357, .243, .223 and 22 Hornet. Do those count as lever actions?!

In any case, they're the most accurate rifles I've ever owned.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I have a marlin in 44 mag. I like because I can interchange the ammo with my pistol. And the rifle will push about another 300fps out of a pistol round. I have shot the henry version its alot heavier and more expensive and not the worth it. I love my marlin.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Its amazing how well the .308 BLR I have shoots with open sights.

Emmett
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin 450 guide gun
    loading a 405 grain cast gas check ... fast fast fast. should be a good hog gun
    Love my 99's too

The marlins are a workhorse though
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had 3 Win 94's and still have 2: 94 ae trapper in .44 mag and a 1970's .30-30 20". I just love the look of the Browning designed 1892-1894; I find them very classic. I had a Legacy 24" in .45 Colt, sold it 'cause I needed the $$.

I also have a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem with a Weaver 4x that shoots 1" groups with Rem 200 gr ammo. My 1895G (ported) in .45-70 with a Lyman peep is also accurate with cast 405gr loads, and a real thumper with heavier jacketed loads.

The Marlin seems a bit more accurate and is much easier to mount a scope, but the Win just melts my heart. too bad all the WIns nowadays are going to be from the used side.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For lever actions, Savage 99. Immediately followed by the Winchester 88. They are about the only true high power lever actions. You can get the 99 in .303 Sav, 22 HP, .250(-3000) Sav. .300 Sav, .308, 22-250, .243, and .284 Win. I've heard of factory 7mm-08 but never seen one. I know with a switch barrel it was the owners choice of an extra International 6mm or 7mm {.250 case necked to either caliber} barrel for just a bit more variety. And some say the .270 Savage wildcat was based on the .308/.243 case and some had it as the .250 case. Either way it produced a lightweight effective killer cartridge.

The Win 88 was good for accuracy and also had an interesting bolt configuration. It rotates and locks like bolt gun. You could get those in .243, .308, and .284 and I've heard {qualifier}* .250 Savage. *I know you could get them custom in that caliber, but I don't know if you could get them regular factory.

All the rest of the lever actions are BP cases, most of which have been converted to smokeless powder. The smokeless loads are reduced as the original rifles aren't built to take the high pressures of smokeless.

Edit:

Thanks WinMike, I forgot about the .358 Win a great round itself if one prefers the heavier bullets.
    I also left out the Browning BLR. It's the only lever gun of today that can handle 30-06 sized and magnum cases.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1895 in .405 winchester. That one is a riot to shoot and it still takes care of business and is very accurate.
    Not bad for 106 year old ctg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Win 88 was also available in .358, which, if I were to buy one, would be my choice. Not only because it's sort of a collector item (as is the Savage 99 in that caliber), but because it's a really good caliber for both deer and elk.

But....I'm not in the market.....[|)]
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    It'a a matter of opinion. Some like Winchester and others like Marlins. Personally I like my marlins. The guts don't come out when racking them. I have them in 30-30, 357mag, 44mag, 22lr. Have had 45-70, 32-20. Like them all.

And yes this post should be over in "Ask the experts" forum.

I'm envious. I've heard it said that Marlins are to Winchesters what Ruger revolvers are to Smith & Wessons. One definite advantage is the closed top, side eject.

The only problem with putting this in "Experts" versus "General Discussion is that they lock it after 10 posts in "Experts"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    fortunately, this is in CS & Reloading forum. Maybe the moderator could put it in General Discussions. In any case, I think we can chat without restrictions.

In any case, I own said Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70, as well as above-referenced supposed-POS '70s '94 Win. I've also shot, tinkered with, and carried (but never owned) a Marlin 336.

The advantage to the Marlin, is that it's well made and sturdy. I prefer the ease of disassembly, particularly in regards to removing the lever and bolt which ease cleaning of the bore from the chamber. The Marlin is a design that's easily passed the test of time.

Yet....I really like carrying and shooting my Win. 94. It's accurate, light, easier (for me) to carry, and comes up to my short armed, chunky body very easily. I'm not an every-year-4-deer kind of guy, but some years ago, I did a snap-shot on a buck that I doubt I could have ever done with any of my other rifles. One shot, about 6 or 7 steps, then one really dead deer.

It's that kind of memory that says, "well, hey, those supposed experts that say Mdl 94 produced after '64 aren't worth it, are....wrong!"
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I LOVE my old Marlin 444 from 1971. A tried and true companion. My FAVORITE open sights gun, and I love reloading for it. That gun has never let me down. Hard to ignore an old 30-30 though. It's still one of the top handloaded cartridges in the country, and is still going strong after over 100 years. I have a Winchester in 22 mag. and love it.