In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

? for ANYBODY concerning US869-300 RUM

Did ya ever find anything there for your 300 ultra.......was digging through old posts a few days ago and came came across one where ya said you were gonna try it............[:I]

Comments

• Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IdahoRedneck,

I left this alone since you asked for JustC's information but the bump reminded me that I still have some data sitting around from my testing a while back.

In general, US869 is an extremely slow powder, making it suitable for some applications with large capacity cases or large cases necked down for smaller calibers.

I didn't find a suitable load node for this powder in the .300 RUM even when I was using the longer 210 VLD bullets. It was running about 100 FPS slower than my loads with Retumbo and Re-25. It's also a bit less efficient.

But I did get better results when I used the US869 in the 7mm RUM with the 180 gr. VLD bullets. Good velocity and better efficiency. Similar results occurred when I was testing the .338 Extreme cartridge.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    IdahoRedneck,

I left this alone since you asked for JustC's information but the bump reminded me that I still have some data sitting around from my testing a while back.

In general, US869 is an extremely slow powder, making it suitable for some applications with large capacity cases or large cases necked down for smaller calibers.

I didn't find a suitable load node for this powder in the .300 RUM even when I was using the longer 210 VLD bullets. It was running about 100 FPS slower than my loads with Retumbo and Re-25. It's also a bit less efficient.

But I did get better results when I used the US869 in the 7mm RUM with the 180 gr. VLD bullets. Good velocity and better efficiency. Similar results occurred when I was testing the .338 Extreme cartridge.

Best.

NoNonsense,

Thanks for the reply......... What kind of velocity's were ya getting in the 300 RUM if ya recall...........(with Us 869 on 210 Vlds and what powder charge?)

A while back I talked to ya on trying to develop a load for my 300 in which you referred me to Berger.......I called them and spoke with them concerning the load I was building but they had no Info for US 869 with the 210 Vld My question then was "im not sure where Im at in pressure other than I know that my case And primer didnt have near the max pressure signs as they had when I was shooting 90.5 grains of RE22 behind a swift scirroco.

........... Hodgdon says 101.0 grains is max for a 220 grain Nosler partition at 55,200 PSI

Im shooting the 210 Vld with 103.0 grains. Started testing at 100.5 and stopped at 103, just so happen That the 103 shot great out of my gun, 3 shots under under .8 at 100 with me pulling the trigger and ammo I had loaded (as Im still a newcomer to reloading[:I]) I was happy I shot this load all summer and killed my elk with it this past November Now im trying to figure out the numbers and Excactly where im at.....

Berger wanted Velocity's and I didnt have a Chrony at the time so I didnt have enough answers for them........... (I did just win an auction though and Chronys on the Way[:)])

They also told me that the only powder they had tested that could be loaded to beyond case capacity was H870 which is where I draw more confusion because I Read that US 869 is what replaced H870 and it is more temp stable........[?][?] Dont know for sure but Im just trying to figure out where Im at with this Load It sure seems to work good in my gun. Was just Looking for other peoples experiences I guess thanks again for the reply[^]

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IdahoRedneck,

I've been delayed trying to prep and load for an upcoming competition. Working is really getting in the way this year already![;)]

Let's see, my notes specify a compressed load using US869 in combination with the 210 VLD, very close to your stated load from this summer. My pressure trace yielded about 62,000 PSI on average from 100 shots fired with this load. The average velocity was in the neighborhood of 2890 - 2905 FPS for the same 100 shots. Very consistent actually for a large case capacity load. Note that this data was collected from a 26" barrel using an Oehler Ballistics 83 System.

Just for the sake of discussion though, the US869 was a little inefficient when compared to powders such as Retumbo (my current 1st choice for this cartridge) and Re-25 (my all-time standby and usual 1st choice).

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Again Thank you for the reply Nononsense[^]

Quick question you say you tested compressed loads similar to mine which is were we are supposed to be with a 210 vld. 96.567 grains of water max case capacity, yet when I stuff 103.0 grains behind a 210 berger I can still hear shake plain as day. is this normal for a ball powder. (Im sure I must be missing something here, Please remember Still new to reloading[B)])

I am using a Lyman 1000 Xp Scale and calibrate it with the supplied weight before each loading session so I feel pretty confident im not screwing up there but am now doubting myself when you say compressed loads. Mine weren't compressed in the sense you could still hear "shake".

Thats were I was hoping to be in terms of FPS though we will see when the chrony gets here and thanks again for your numbers, and the replys.

I was kinda at a stand still here[:I]

PS just to show Im not crazy and I did read an old post where JUSTC Inquired bout US869 here it is[:)]
    quote:JustC

10910 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2006 : 12:06:29 AM Show Profile Email Poster Reply with Quote
    I picked up a can of the new Hodgdon US869 today (had to have it) and called the tech guys. They say it is a tad faster than the old H870 and slower than retumbo.

Anyone loaded this in the 300RUM?
    applying physics over great expanses,...gotta love the long shots

GunBroker.com Moderator

The Largest Auction Gun Store Online including Pistols, Shotguns, and Rifles

Maybe he just hasnt seen this thread yet[;)][:D][^]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry I'm late, been busy recently.

to answer too late, I have never used the US869 since I have left the 300RUM alone for a few years[V] Need to dig that thing out again[:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    sorry I'm late, been busy recently.

to answer too late, I have never used the US869 since I have left the 300RUM alone for a few years[V] Need to dig that thing out again[:p]

Well sir if ya do, It would appear ya have a pound of powder (or used too[:o)]), and ya start fooling around Id like an update please[:I] Like I said my Ballistics program is Load from a disc Vol 5.0 and it tells me max case capacity is 96.567 grains of water ????? when using the 210 Berger VLD yet I can stuff 103.0 grains behind there ( And hear plenty of Shake) and get a good group with out any of the High pressure signs to the case or primer that I was finding with RE 22 and a 180 swift scirroco, loaded at 90.5 grains (Max).... Im sure that I "think" I can do more here but AGAIN I am new to reloading and want to be safe. Chrony arrived today[:p] So before I do anymore tweak-in Ill check Velocity's...........Was just looking for some one smarter than me who may have played with this stuff Thanks again to Nononsense and you for the reply and if you do dig the ol girl out and try this stuff let me know[^]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well if/when I do, it appears I will have to go with at least a 220gr or even 240gr pill since I trust Nononsense and his data says it just ain't worth it with 210gr pills.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    well if/when I do, it appears I will have to go with at least a 220gr or even 240gr pill since I trust Nononsense and his data says it just ain't worth it with 210gr pills.

As do I..............