In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Back Into Reloading

OK, I have jumped back into reloading,I have my Dies, Press,, right or wrong, I went with a Dillion 550B......
So since it has been a while since I was realoading, refresh my memory on what I need....

Please keep it to what I need, and not what press I chose....

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1. Tumbler
    2. Scale, I prefer digital, just easier
    3. Primer pocket cleaner, although judging by a recent post, few people clean them out...mine collects dust
    4. Micrometer to measure case OAL, again, digital is easier.
    5. A couple good books (abc handloading, Lee, etc.) which you can cross reference with online date (handloads.com), etc. Be very careful of just using online data...there are a lot of yahoos that use charges that are way too high.

This is what I use, very rarely do I use a case trimmer as I use mostly low pressure loads that barely, if at all, stretch the cases.

DISCLAIMER: I only reload pistol, so it is very possible that rifle requires a bit more equipment.

Others may use more tools but for my needs, the press, dies, bullets, powder, primers, cases and the above are all I need.
  • Options
    1917watercooled1917watercooled Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you run into a problem (and you will), then ask for help here. They know their stuff and are happy to help. Heck, I think one of these guys invented gunpowder. BTW, Dillon will help you with any press problems. Just give them a call. Good luck.
  • Options
    FISHERRIDGESPORTINGFISHERRIDGESPORTING Member Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your post's.....
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are not going to be doing a lot, you might be able to find some used equipment here or eBay.

Basic firsts
    1. Press
    2. Scales
    3. Micrometer to measure case OAL, again, digital is easier.
    4. A book for the bullets you plan to use. Hornady and Sierra for example. An ABC book wouldn't hurt.

You can upgrade as you go. As far as trimming or cleaning primer pockets, you might be able to find a few old hand tools online for this. You won't even need it for several loads of new brass. Just be certain by getting a GOOD micrometer. I got a good one from Lowes. Case, extra batteries and all for like $20. I'd go with old geezer scales at first too. Once you get in the grove, they ain't so bad. While you're loading, you can save enough money to upgrade.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I meant dial caliper instead of micrometer...the micrometer is limited to 1 inch.

Keep in mind that the term "easier" should not be confused with better or more accurate. There are many analog calipers that are better than many of the digital ones, but the digital ones are by far, easier to read.