In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Contemplating getting into reloading

utbrowningmanutbrowningman Member Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
I don't shoot a whole lot of large calibers - much more .22 than the others I have (.30-06, .30-30, 9mm, and .38) for the time being. I have quite a bit of '06 brass kept over the years so that would be my primary reload. Maybe get into the other calibers, too. Some say reloading would not be worth it for the small amount I would do -300-400 a year, others may say it can grow into the others once I have the equipment. I've read parts of the ABC's of Reloading by Bill Chevalier (and will probably order the 8th edition from 2008, soon) and picked up Sierra's DVD "Highpower Rifle Reloading" with G. David Tubb to review. Looking for some direction on what equipment would be appropriate for my needs or any other guidance.

Comments

• Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most people that get into reloading end up shooting more as A) It is less expensive and B) it is fun. Keep in mind that I ONLY reload .45acp and .38 special.

I have been reloading for about 20 years and shoot 5 times more than I did before. Shooting plated bullets, my cost is about $10/50 rounds for .45 acp.

See the following post below which is about 10 down...

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=491469

Others will chime in soon. That is my $.03
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i agree w everything mentioned. i don't shoot a whole lot--maybe several hundred rounds per year. i've been doing so for about 30 years and continue because
    1. it saves a bunch of money
    2. it's fun
    3. i shoot more--and therefore better--because of the savings
    4. i custom tailor the loads for my specific guns' preferences
    5. i get tremendous satisfaction in shooting game w shells i've loaded
    6. i enjoy saving money for my friends by loading for them and so they shoot more and better

so go for it with a basic turret press, on line data, a scale, and essential components. you'll be glad
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say go for it, but i reload. So a little jaded.

I would say a kit is best, single stage as well. That will get you a press, scale(digital or beam), powder measure, debur/chamfer tool, case lube and case tray(holds 50 usually).

All you need then is dies for caliber and shell holder. The shell holder is the same for similar cartridges. One size will fit 243, 7mm-08, 308 etc, but all take different dies. Add primer, powder n bullet.

A couple things.
    1. You will add equipment later. Tumbler is so nice, trimmer is good too.
    2. Shoot more, its less expensive per shot. Makes you a better marksman. At least it should!
    3. I enjoy reloading a lot. I have some rifles that have never seen factory ammo. One that has never seen a reload, 300 Savage, seem to shoot it 3-10 times a year.
  • Options
    steveaustinsteveaustin Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's a blast. I went all out and bought a 5 stage but for less than a hundred bucks you could start to reload your '06. Might come in handy someday too.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get into this habit steep if you want, or you can get into it informed.

I would look around the auctions for some used sets. Unfortunately, I see a lot of auctions that people have relatively new stuff, but they don't use it. A press is a pretty sturdy piece. I would get a good set of scales, and micrometer to check the lengths. You can pick up things here and there. Get into it easily to see if you will like it. Most likely, you will get addicted like the rest of us, and start hiding money from the wife to upgrade.[:D]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of the determination should be based on your likes or dislikes. If you are the type that is more apt to call somebody to fix a leaking toilet then you might not enjoy reloading. If you are the tinkering type, enjoying making things, working with your hands and exploring new mechanical toys then reloading might be for you.

I find reloading, "spending time in my gun room" to be mental therapy, time flies by, I can lose a whole day tinkering with a scope mount to get it dead nuts right. I'll spend half a day loading forty rounds of 6BR seeking the most that can be squeezed from the rifle.

Since I shoot so much reloading has never been a question, it has been a lifelong passion. I can't understand anyone not reloading if you shoot center-fire calibers. It just does not compute to me......

Oh, cost is not an issue in the decission process, I'm going to reload, I'm going to shoot; other things can wait....[:D]
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for rifle loading , a good sturdy cast iron press i the way to go.I'e used cheap and good,and good is better for rifle loading,ok to go cheaper press for pistol...less effort with a good iron press during the sizing operation.
    other needs
    1st and foremost,a manual or two.I like Lyman's,it's my goto book.
    brass trimmer,the cheap Lee works ok,there are better ones like rcbs or Lyman's.
    calipers,dial or digital.
    dies,most any brand. <flame reatardant suit on>
    ...used dies and press can save some bucks.
    a way to prime cases,either a ram prime seup,or a hand priming tool.

de bur tool. primer pocket cleaning tool.
    case lube,I use a tub of Hornady's.lasts a long time.
    bullet puller for mistekakse...they DO happen,
    loading blocks for standing the cases up in .you can make these.

a tumbler and media is nice for polishing the brass,but not a necessity.

you won't be speedy with this getup,but you will load great ammo and have an enjoyable hobby.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the things I always see when comparing costs of reloading is actual to actual. How much does it cost me to buy bullets, powder, primers, and get ahold of enough cases to make reloading worthwhile. When you figure out how much you save over buying loaded cartridges it sounds great! But then throw in the cost of the reloading equipment and then it balances back out.

So, let's just work with the numbers you've given for 30-06 and 30-30, 300-400 a year.

You can find bullets @ Midway, Graf's, Widener's, Powder valley etc, for about $25 per 100. That is $.25 a bullet. Powder runs around $20 a lb. (average, not including sales tax at local shoot'n store. Or, Hazmat if you buy in bulk) There are 7000 grains of in a pound. The average 30-06 load takes about 55 grains. Which works out to about 127 bullets per pound or just over $.06 for powder. Primers are running about $29.00 per 100 if you buy 1000. That is $.03 Lets just say that since I've picked up and cleaned thousands of 30-06 and 30-30 cases up where ever I shoot that you've done the same. $0.00 Add that up and you have spent $.32 per cartridge. Multiply by 20 and you have spent $6.40 for a box of bullets. The cheapest bullets you can find at any shoot'n store is about $14.99 for either 30-30 or 30-06. So, you are saving about $8.59 for a box of bullets over what you would pay at a store. You shoot about 300-400? Lets use 400. That's twenty boxes. You've saved a total of $171.80 That is well over half of a NEW reloading kit with everything you will need to safely reload. So, in two years with what you normally shoot, you've paid for the reloading kit. You will save even more if you go out and find reloading deals on the internet auctions or used and a gun store.

Now, here's the really good part. What I described up above is apples to apples. Once you get good at it and understand the slight changes in what you do, you can tailor rounds to your rifle. It's no longer apples to apples. They shoot better than store bought shells. You can buy premium bullets @ $.40 ea., and premium cases @ $1.00 ea. (that you can reload ten times so cost per shot is $.10) and now compare to the match grade loads. You can do the same for premium hunting rounds. And if you do THAT math you'll see you can load premium rounds for less than you can buy standard rounds AND they will be tailored to your gun. Premium rounds run anywhere from $30.00-$60.00 depending on what you have. Even more for the exotics.

That is how I can justify reloading.