In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

If you could pick only ONE powder...

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
What would it be?

I mean, for EVERYTHING- shotgun, rifle, pistol.

For me there would be one and only one choice. Alliant Red Dot. If you can use Bullseye, you can probably sub Red Dot. Great in shotguns and pistols, and while you'll never realize a full velocity load, fine for reduced plinkers in rifles as well, out to about 1600 fps in a 30-06 cartridge.

Comments

• Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I don't think I could do that, unless you mean pick only one powder each for:
    28ga
    20ga
    32H&R
    9mm
    38spc
    357mag
    10mm
    44mag
    45acp
    22 k-hornet
    6X45
    6mmppc
    6mmbr
    243 win
    243 AI
    etc.....

I might be able to get away with one powder for each of those....
  • Options
    metermanmeterman Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    joshmb1982joshmb1982 Member Posts: 8,929
    edited November -1
    would that even be possible? rifle powders are to slow for pistols and pistol powders are to fast for rifles no? I know they would work at making noise but what kind of velocity would you get from a 9mm loaded with varget or 4895? or worse yet some of the really slow magnum powders. if you loaded a 12 ga with a pistol powder wouldnt the thing be likely to blow up?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joshmb1982
    if you loaded a 12 ga with a pistol powder wouldnt the thing be likely to blow up?

Most shotgun and pistol powders will interchange [:0]
    I use PB for both [;)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't hamstring a rifle to allow a shotgun or pistol to work. Therefore, 4895. If I had to reduce a load and add wadding for the shotgun I would do that. Same with the pistol.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Besides my favorite of Red Dot... FFFG black. That really WILL work in EVERYTHING!
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For what I shooot, Unique would be a powder that can do it all for me.12 guage,45 colt cowboy loads,.357 mag.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can NOT be done

CP
  • Options
    norgexxxnorgexxx Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are talking stockpiling one powder to survive the breakdown of civilization and protect your holdings and loved ones through long stand-offs and seiges and reloading all your brass for the years to come, then you have to match rifles to pistols and shotguns, in other words all straight walled, big bore, cases. Pistols would have to be .41 .44 .45colt or acp, shotguns 20gauge min, prefer 12, and rifles would be 40-65; 38-55(modern)or .375Win 45-70, modren 50-95 or 50-110 or maybe the .50 beowulf or .450 type straight walled cases for some AR platforms and then you could get effective loads in all three types with IMR 4227. This powder functions very well in big bore pistols and rifles and produces passable performance with modestly reduced charges in shotguns, especially with buckshot type loads, marginal with birdshot, but will put pheasent on the table if your skills are good, altho resorting to Black Powder for your birdshot loads would be more conservation effective by saving the smokeless for defensive purposes. Pick your poison. But if this is what you are planning for...choose wisely.