In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS Chargemaster

JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
The mailman just delivered this technological wonder and I have a couple questions. First being, How did I live without this??
Any advice on things to watch out for?? Basic maintenance?
I did notice that the first Load I picked to try was one I have never done before. It was 94g of Magnum powder for a 300RUM. The measure did an amazing job. The only thing I didn't like was that magnum powder seemed to bounce out of the pan a bit and I got some small accumulation of powder on the bench around the measure.
One other problem I ran across was the lil old powder funnel I've had for a zillion years doesn't fit very well on on a 300 RUM case... hmmmmm

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like mine-[:)] My only advice is ambient air temp, let the machine stabilize after you turn it on. Run a few check weights with another scale and your good to go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I also just noticed that when you close the "dust cover/wind cover" the weight changes even though I can see no contact at all. Just seems weird. I can't see how this would affect anything as the cover will be open while in use.
  • Options
    tbatestbates Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had my Chargemaster for the last 2 years. Before that, my brother and I loaded 1000s of rounds with a different dispenser and scale. Like you, we are now saying, how did we live without it? A couple of cautions...never use it if there is any air moving, even with the wind cover. It is very sensitive to movement of any kind. My brother's work bench is heavier than mine. Though sturdy, mine moves easier and we discovered that slight movements of the bench. leaning on it or bumping it, can impact the reading. Also be sure it is level. I clean mine with the small brush it came with and I store it in the original box in a closet in the house...not in the garage where my reloading bench is. It is too cold and too dusty in my garage. If I plan to reload in cold weather, I heat my shop area with an electric heater, then set up the Chargemaster, level it, and turn it on for at least 30 minutes to allow it to acclimate to the temp. I calibrate, then check the accuracy with a weight set, then I'm good to go. I use only Benchmark and Varget so have no problem with powder bouncing out of the pan.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could replace the pan with one that has higher sides, as long as it still fits under the spout.

Besides the advice to warm it up and keep it draft-free, here's a cleaning tip: When you empty the machine of powder, it can be a pain to get the feed tube empty, even with the handle of the brush. Get one of those soda straws with the bendable tips and insert the short end into the feed tube. Blow lightly to push all the powder back into the reservoir. And ALWAYS close that dump tube valve immediately!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a newby so I have a question. why do you use a "Charger" that you have to remove the pan, dump in the casing, replace the pan, push a button, weight another charge, and repeat when you could just dump in the powder from a " Uniflow". Is this for accuracy reasons? Is the "uniflow" not accurate enough for competition? Is it accurate enough for use other than for competition? How inaccurate is it? Is it a waste of money?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's a decent question.

Lots of reloaders feel they should weigh every charge. (It's actually not all that important from either a safety or accuracy standpoint, unless the load is absolutely maximum - and that isn't smart to begin with.) But that said, there are those who DO like to weigh every charge.

For those, a digital machine does that for them, hands off. The alternative is to pick up the pan, hold it under the measure while working the drum handle, then moving the pan to the beam scale, waiting for that to settle and then twisting the knob of the trickler until the weight is correct, then picking up the scale again, then setting a funnel on a case and dumping the powder into the case, set down the pan, remove the funnel, set down the case, and FINALLY start all over again.

With a digital machine, I can set the weight I want and push the button. While I'm seating a bullet in the previously-charged case, the machine does the dispensing, trickling and weighing by itself. When it beeps at me, I can look at the exact weight displayed in big bold numbers, pick up the pan and funnel that charge into a case. Put the pan back and the scale starts itself again automatically.

If you only dump from a measure directly into a case, that's much faster, granted. But if you want to see what every charge weighs ... no.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Makes sense Rocky Rabb. I just started fiddling with my measure and getting my scales calibrated. I noticed that if I dump directly into a pan to put on the scale, a little of the powder ( Varget) splashes out. So to prevent this I put the pan tight to the measure output spout dump the powder and then lower the pan. The powder flows out without any splashing out and I seem to get a consistent dump after the first 2 or three dumps after each adjustment. See any flaws to this methodology as far as accuracy?
    Also when I do get a little inconsistency the scale reads no more than 1 line away from level. Does this much out of weight make a huge difference?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That pan technique is something every reloader in history has had to learn. Powder is bouncier stuff than you'd think, huh?

On many beam scales, those lines refer to tenths of a grain. That's WELL within the amount I'd consider meaningful. As a general rule, I believe that 1% either side of the desired weight is meaningless. On a 50-grain desired charge, that means a half grain over or under. Almost all reloading measures will drop within that window, and that's why dropping straight from the measure is almost always perfectly fine - except for maximum loads, of course.
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    You could replace the pan with one that has higher sides, as long as it still fits under the spout.

Besides the advice to warm it up and keep it draft-free, here's a cleaning tip: When you empty the machine of powder, it can be a pain to get the feed tube empty, even with the handle of the brush. Get one of those soda straws with the bendable tips and insert the short end into the feed tube. Blow lightly to push all the powder back into the reservoir. And ALWAYS close that dump tube valve immediately!

Pay very close attention to the sentence in red above.[B)][:0][:(!]
    I now keep a little shallow pan under it just incase I ever forget to close it again.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Idaho, if you think an open valve makes a mess, just try moving the dispenser by grabbing the reservoir tube - and have it come out. Half a tube of powder cascading across the bench is memorable - but not in a good way!

I added three dabs of hot glue to keep THAT from happening ever again!
  • Options
    idahoduckeridahoducker Member Posts: 740 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D]
    Haven't done that. I will make a mental note in bold font.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good idea. It is said we learn from mistakes - but nowhere is it written that the mistakes have to be our own!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    OK Rocky Rabb, Got it. I need to be dead nuts in the zero line on my scale for 223 loading since I am loading 25 grains as the starting load. The trick is getting my powder adjusted.Might get me one of those micro adjuster thingys.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    25 of Varget in the 223? Nah. Not that critical. Adjust your measure to throw a half-grain light. Now put some Varget in an empty case (of some OTHER size cartridge!) and rotate it back and forth in your fingers over your pan. That will dribble a few kernels at a time into the pan. Voila! dead nutz on. Using a 308 or some other cartridge as your dribbler keeps you from make a mistake.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a dribbler that will fit over the pan. But I was trying to get away from weighing every charge. I wanted to get the uniflow set up to throw the correct charge and check every 10th round.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Now that I think about it, since I just mounted a scope and need to site it in I probably do need to makes sure the rounds are dead nuts on so I think I will weigh every cartridge say at least 30 for siteing in.That way the cartridge is not part of the equation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idahoducker
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab

Pay very close attention to the sentence in red above.[B)][:0][:(!]
    I now keep a little shallow pan under it just incase I ever forget to close it again.

Ok the straw is a great idea thanks!!
    Now about that dump valve thing.
    Damn!!!! I was changing from IMR4350 (extruded) to Magnum (ball powder) and guess what... That will make a big mess right now!!! I will try to avoid this in the future
    Thanks rocky and Idaho
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm lucky in that my reloading room is indoors(climate control). My range is right behind me, open the door and move the chrono and go. I now remember to let my wife know when I'm testing loads upstairs LOL.
    Ramdino, I have never been able to acquire the consistency with any measure I was happy with on extruded powders. This thing is GREAT!!! and fast. O and you only push the button once and your off to the races. Every time you set the pan down it drops another charge. I can't seat the bullet as fast as the charge drops
    Your right Tom. I should have had this years ago

IMG_0273.jpg
  • Options
    tostado22tostado22 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey! I know that room. Looks like my fiances old bedroom
  • Options
    edited November -1
    LOL ha it is!!!
    The fact that you know that is maybe why you are in IRAQ now.!!

Folks. Tostado is my future son in law currently serving in Iraq. And no hes not mexican, I have no idea why he has that handle!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Tostado 22, thanks for your service. JustJump, Do you have a problem with powder splashing out of the pan when it disharges?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ramdino
    Hey Tostado 22, thanks for your service. JustJump, Do you have a problem with powder splashing out of the pan when it disharges?

Ok learned more new things.
    Wipe the entire thing down, pan,discharge tube, hopper,etc, with a dryer static cloth and the powder stopped bouncing!!! It was a static thing hmmmm