In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Does anyone read the important info

MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
in the front of the reloading manuals? I'm not pointing out specific questions being asked but I'm seeing a trend toward reloading by internet so to speak. Many of the questions being posted are easily answered by the material contained in almost every data book. It seems a lot of handloaders are just jumping into the deep end of the pool w/o realizing or appreciating the gravity of their actions. When I see these questions show up, I really want to jump all over them but the guys need guidance instead of bullying.

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read the Speer and Sierra books several times before I ever touched bullets, powder or primers.

I still had some questions though. They were answered here and at other reloading/handloading sites. Luckily, I also had a couple of local guys I could turn to for advice (and still do sometimes!).

I do not "load from the internet" as the loads are always suspect in my eyes and must be checked against a reliable source before actually loading.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D] I've got some of the big manuals-Hogdon/Hornady/Speer, but

It's hard to beat the info/data/writng note pages/excerps that Loadbooks USA has, for each caliber !!

Tons a fun-

[:o)][:o)] JIMBO
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny you should mention it. I'm in the process of writing a reloading book, and it will contain NO load data. Just how-to and "why-to" information.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel to many new handloaders never open a reloading manual. They watch youtube. Then they want speed and order a Dillon 650 without a clue whats going on, loading the AR in 223. How to reload is free on Hornady & RCBS websites last time i looked. No need to buy a manual.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good idea, Rocky.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I do; however, sometimes the load books lack data for certain bullets and powders, or cartridges all together. For instance, the 3 books I have on the shelf lack for IMR 4895 in a number of cartridges, while containing data for new, hip, better mousetrap powders like 8208. That doesn't help me much since I have several jugs of 4895 on the shelf, and know it is useable in everything from .223 through 45/70. For instance- no 6.5 Jap data with this powder, though it is a good one for the round. Albeit that's a bit obscure, it's still lacking, meaning I have to go to the internet. Ditto on Bullseye; no data for the .32 ACP, when it is a great powder in it, nor any data for bullet weights other than 71 grains, even though you can get by with anything from 60 to 85 grains in the cartridge. Not to mention no data for some of the more oddball cartridges. No 7.5 French data in most manuals at all for instance.
  • Options
    ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please all you new guys out there, do not be intimidated by this thread. Do get multiple manuals. Do read them. Do practice safety and do ask questions. I doubt and certainly hope that no one is reloading by Internet. I don't see anyone that has the desire to reload and take up this hobby being one who would just jump in the fray and load up a maximum round with their new rock chucker right out of the box and blast away. I would think that most who delve into this are meticulous. That's one reason they ask questions. This is not a hobby that you can just start doing without some research and some mentoring. The mentoring that is gotten off this forum is some of the only folks will get. There is no place within 45 minutes of most people to go take a class on reloading.But asking questions and getting opinoins ,all of which I have gotten on this forum have been great until now. Whenever I have asked a question, I have gotten good advice from multiple folks within hours if not minutes. Thanks for that guys. I have been reading this and other forums and manuals for about 3 weeks and still have not loaded the first round. But I will continue to ask questions to be mentored by ya'll. So you new guys, I say ask away. and if you run across a bully,just keep asking.