In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tumbler trouble

JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
One of my vibratory tumblers is on its way out. You have to pick it up and jump start it (spin the weight then turn on). Question is , any recommendations on a replacement? Quiet is paramount as they are in the house. I bought this one in 1983 and it went bad after only about a zillion hours of run time!! [;)] Are the old tubs good for anything? Does anyone sell replacement motors??? Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If quiet is the thing - get a tumbler not a vibrator.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently replaced an RCBS tumbler with a Cabela's ( on sale, and much cheaper )that is the same as the one made by Berry's bullets..it is pretty darn quiet when compared to the old RCBS unit, and seems to clean and polish faster then my old unit, even with old media, as to getting new parts..probably cost as much to repair as to replace .
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend the Berry's unit. I've been to their plant and watched them make them, including the plastic parts. Cabela's gets theirs from Berry's. The folks at Berry's are MUCH nicer to work with if you have a problem, also.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys
    I'll do some looking into berrys and cabelas.
    Tumblers are just to slow. I have 2 large tumblers for when I get behind. They just take much more time, they are quiet though
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I you can get the motor number off of the motor you should be able to find one on the net. If it is in good shape you could put a motor in it for twenty bucks if you are handy with jobs like this.

Emmett
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a Franklin Arsenal, it is a good one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm REAL good at taken stuff apart LOL
    I suspect its a broken magnet, brush or armature. If it turns out to be a bearing I can probably make a bronze bushing to fit. Probably order a new one then try to rebuild the old one for a spare
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the brand name and model number of the bad tumbler?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its a VIBRA-SHINE model 20-12
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Justjump
    Its a VIBRA-SHINE model 20-12

Reason I asked about make and model is some companies offer a C-Frame motor replacement and also if it's a C-Frame type motor, Graingers sells such for around $15 and some have a long life type ball bearing type instead of the sleeve bushing types![;)]