In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Velocity ideas

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
I am finally[B)] finishing my 6.5 Grendel. Looking at the new Hornady loading guide, they use a 14.5" barrel. Mine is a 18.5, what kind of gain do you think I'll get? I was disappointed that no data was given with X-Terminator or XBR8208.

I will let you all know what I get as well, will be 95grain V-max and 123 grain.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    skyfish,

X-terminator works well with the 85-100 gr. range. It's a little on the fast side for 100 gr. bullets. But will still propel them at decent speed without getting too much pressure. I haven't even bought a can of the XBR8208 yet. It seems to me it's IMR's ten year overdue entry into better coated powders. One guy on our range this past fall swears it's going to knock AA2015, Varget and any other benchrest powder into obscurity. He's a good shot, but not that good.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would guess you will gain about 35 fps per inch of added barrel length.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for not a lot of money, a chronograph is a great tool to have. i never regretted buying one.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess I should be more clear, I will chronograph my loads when done, just not there yet. And it cold outside, high of 4 today. Just was curious what some of you thought.

Also, I plan on 95 Grain V-max's pushed by X-Terminator or XBR8208. And 123 grain(have Hornady and Sierra) with A2520 or TAC.

Will use for P-dog trip and hope to shoot one match this summer at local range. Plus get practice in the 400-600 yard range. Short distance for a lot of you, but still getting there.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did really good with the 95 gr. V-max's using H4895X. I tried AA2015, but it's a shade on the fast side for that case.

One of the things I noted from AA's loading pages is, and it's pretty right on for the top end, not so much on the bottom, is that the loads have very little min-max range. Like loads starting at 29 gr. and topping out at 29.9 or starting at 30.0 and topping out at 30.7.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you have a match chamber, you will get higher velocities with less powder (in my experience) than many of the load manuals list. I have my chambers cut TIGHT and very often can NOT get to a book max with most powders.

for example, I only got to 88.0gr of H1000 with a 200gr pill in the 300RUM before pressure signs showed up. nosler STARTED at 88.0grs in their book, and went to 92gr as a max.