In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How long to you leave powder in charger

ramdinoramdino Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
How long does everyone leave powder in their RCBS powder charger, or any other for that matter?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only until I'm done with that batch, and then the powder goes immediately back into its can.

Powder not only gains and loses moisture while exposed to air, but it can dissolve some measure tubes, ruining both the tube and the powder. PLUS, there's always the danger of forgetting what powder you have in the thing. Not all that smart.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep I got scolded by the gang on here for doing it for 15+ years. Bottom line is that nothing good can come by leaving it in the hopper. Accident waiting to happen.

I have forsaken laziness for safety.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never leave it in the tube.
  • Options
    JustjumpJustjump Member Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I leave the can on the bench right behind the measure while loading. Then empty hopper back to can as soon as I'm done.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for shotguns, its doesnt matter.
    my powder is stored in tubes and some has been there for years. fires just fine.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I worked in a gun store and saw a LOT of used reloading equipment. Nearly every single shotshell reloader I ever saw had a discolored powder tube. Some were merely yellowed, some were a deep orange and some were nearly black - and the darker the color, the more the insides of the tube were pitted, pocked or "melted" by contact with powder.

Powder is by its nature highly reactive. Nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin contain very strong acids and solvents. In contact with plastics, both the plastic AND the powder are chemically altered. That can't be good.

It is also true that the tubes themselves have certainly changed over the years. Part of the reason may well be to reduce their susceptibility to powder deterioration. Measures made overseas may not be made the same as those made here. Do you recall news about poisonous toys and flammable kids' clothing? You think they'd be more careful with tools? I doubt it.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a bad boy, I leave powder in my progressive loader measure hoppers. They are somewhat discolored but not badly, no worse than the shot hopper on my MEC which is blackened with graphite and lead.

I once left powder - Power Pistol, a variant of Bullseye with a lot of Nitroglycerine - in an RCBS Uniflo and it heavily etched the cheap acrylic plastic, even imbedding granules into the softened plastic. They can warn against it all they like but that is a cheap product to be so affected. Star used a tempered glass hopper and Phelps metal which are not affected.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Only until I'm done with that batch, and then the powder goes immediately back into its can.

Powder not only gains and loses moisture while exposed to air, but it can dissolve some measure tubes, ruining both the tube and the powder. PLUS, there's always the danger of forgetting what powder you have in the thing. Not all that smart.

+1[;)]
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    but it stills fires. 30 years of reloading confirms it.[;)]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You're a big boy now. If shooting loads that are X% powder and Y% plastic doesn't bother you, it is no dermis from my proboscis.
  • Options
    Willys 1948Willys 1948 Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very bad reloading habit to leave powder in hoppers or tubes. Not just because of possible moisture absorption or ruining equipment but for safety reasons. It doesn't take long to recharge the tube or hopper. Be safe and immediately put it back in the marked container after a session at the bench. You'll be able to sleep better at night!
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I now have a new system where I put very little powder in the tube and when it's gone, I'm done for the day.

It works but you have to watch near the end to avoid squib rounds.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now my reloading area is at a very low humidity and very consistent temp. My powder measure will likely have powder in it for the next couple of weeks. Between runs, I cover it with a large ziplock and close it as far as the stand will allow.