In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Newby-First Die Purchase

WyostkWyostk Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
I have RCBS Rockchuck setup. Will be starting out reloading for my own personal AR15 Bushmasters. .223 cal. Will I be better off going with the standard full length set or should I start off with the small base set of dies too save me some grief later? Local dealer (Wyoming, so dealers are miles apart)only has the full length in stock and says "they will work fine." Is this because he wants to sell his stock or is it true that small base dies are not really needed?

Any experienced insight much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It all depends on the tolerances of your barrels and of the dies. I have loaded 10's of thousands of 223's for many AR15's & M16's/M4's and have never had an issue with several sets of standard full length RCBS and Dillon dies.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Small Base dies are SELDOM needed. Most folk are pushing the shoulder back when seating the bullet, unaware that even a slight bulge, barely seen is enough to prevent chambering in a gas gun. A properly set standard sizing die works fine for commercial chambers. A properly set seating die seats the bullet without pushing the shoulder back.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used std Hornady 223 dies and have had no problems. Have shot my reloads through an Armalite, M&P, LWRC and 2 Model One uppers with no problems yet. All have the 5.56 NATO chamber. That was with 50,52,55,60 and 68 grain bullets.

Hornady does not make small base dies, I just sent them an email as I'm looking into a more target/varmint orientated AR with a Wylde or 223 chamber.

Just make sure the die is set up correctly, I measure the shoulder before and after. My 223 has the harshest "cam over" feel of all my dies.
  • Options
    WyostkWyostk Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks all for the fast experience based info. Saves me driving 240 miles round trip to buy something I can do without. Instead I'll mosey two blocks and pick up the FL dies local. Apologize to my local guy for having doubted him. Ha! Nice!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wyostk,

You shouldn't have to apologize. It is nice to know you can get small base dies if you need them, though. I too, have loaded thousands of rounds on standard, .223 dies. As bpost noted most situations don't call for them.

You may possibly need them if you are getting a bunch of range brass (Winchester is pretty common on surplus LE sales) and you want to size it down to a tight custom chamber.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will 4th the above before someone comes blaring in saying you need sb dies.