In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 colt load info

idaho cowboyidaho cowboy Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
Am looking for some info on rifle loads for the 45 Colt. A friend gave me a new Rossie 92 short rifle in 45 and I figgured on using a 250-260 grain cast bullet in it. In our rural area the supply of jacketed bullets is very limited so I figgured on going using cast. I will mostly just play with it but would like to have a load that I could use on deer if I wanted to, something that would shoot a cast slug of that weight range fairly hard. What do ya think?

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Steve,
    From the Laser-Cast book:
    255gr Semi Wad 19.2grs H110 1166fps out of 16 1/2" barrel
    OAL 1.595

17.5grs 2400 1266fps
    14.5grs HS-7 1294fps
    Maximumn Rifle loads
    You want to remember that laser cast are realy hard bullets, if your going to cast your own you might want to back these down quite a bit.
    Also rember that you can't back H110 down below min. load without presure problems.
    Another option, if your going to cast your own might be good to go to gas checks. It has worked wonders in my old Kraig with home cast bullits.
    W.D.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For this use, I always recommend the "Hank Williams Jr" load:

Magnum primer
    21.0 4227
    255-260 cast bullet
    firm crimp

It's a scary accurate load from many guns, gets 1000 fps from a short revolver and more from a carbine. The charge fills the case almost to the bullet base.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.