In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lee Progressive ?

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
My nephew has been using my single stage press(es) for his pistols and is looking to buy his own gear. He called last night and asked me about a progressive press made by Lee.

I had nothing to say.... Do they make progressive rigs now ?

EDIT -
Thanks for the replies....
I believe he will stay with a process he knows.

Comments

• Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stay away from Lee progressives...my 2 cents
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    It takes a lot of patience and care to run a Lee progressive. And no matter what you do, Lee priming system just doesnt work!! I use my do size/deprime, then use a lee hand primer (which works great!) then reload the primed brass into the tubes and finish loading. Once you get the bugs out of it, it works OK, but keep a close eye on everything! The nice thing about Lee is you dont need a second mortgage to afford them, and the extras dont cost a newborn (like DILLON!). BUT, they can be trying, and do a lot of damage when you throw it in anger (lost a computer screen that way!). BE CALM, and you will be fine!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a problem with the priming system. Besides that, basically 2nd the middle.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    They make 2, the Pro 1000 and the Loadmaster. The Pro 1000 is only suitable for pistol and rifle brass up to about .223 caliber. The loadmaster ostensibly will handle rifle cases, though I don't own one.

It's finicky, but it does work.

If I were in the market I'd look hard at the offerings from Hornady. They come with free bullets.

Dillon is a great press, I've always enjoyed loading on them at my buddy's place (he has a 550 and a 650) but I just can't justify the price. Sort of like buying a Cadillac vs. a Ford. Vs. a Yugo, which is Lee.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What jonk said. I have a LnL, would buy again.
  • Options
    pirate2501pirate2501 Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Lee Progressive and it took over a week (couple hours a day)of adjusting and fine tuning to get it to work. Loads maybe 10 rounds and adjust and clean and go again. Lousy directions and much frustration but it will work. I have the 9MM set up.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I make ammo fast with a lee hand press and dippers.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Pro 1000 I had cost me a 1911 barrel. The powder measure didn't pick up powder and the primer system is pure poop [B)][xx(]
    Sent it down the road [;)]
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot 800 rounds of 45ACP since newyears. I love my Dillon 550. I have loaded 10,000 rounds of 45ACP on it with no problems. [8D][:D][;)]For most rifle except .223 I use a Lyman All-American.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Pistollero1050
    I shot 800 rounds of 45ACP since newyears. I love my Dillon 550. I have loaded 10,000 rounds of 45ACP on it with no problems. [8D][:D][;)]For most rifle except .223 I use a Lyman All-American.

Yes the dillon is a fine tool, no doubt, but they are far from perfect! Mine does fine with ball powder, but sucks with stick! Ya I know, no ones make a measure that works perfect for stick powder, but Dillon can do better!!

That being said.....For someone who was not born with a silver spoon up his butt, or for someone who is not lucky enough to have a high paying job, or bussiness, and can afford Dillon......The lee will get you started. Just be aware of its faults, and they work great!

Total cost to set up a Dillon RL550B basic press, no extras
    $429.95......
    Add the bullet tray (which makes it much nicer to use!) $40.95
    Add strong mount (works without it but is much better with it) $47.95
    Add case feeder $249.95
    Add a few caiber conversion kits for both the press and feeder....

Press kits $44.95 ea......feeder kits 22.45 ea

cost without converstions====$768.80

Total cost for lee package that does everything Dillon does and includes a set of dies and case feeder(no dies with Dillon)

$169.99!!!!!!!!(converstions cost $14.99)Pro-1000 for pistol

So, you can buy THREE lee packages for the cost of one bare bones Dillon set up!!!

Thats a BIG price differance, and buys a lot of patience

I like the Dillon, BUT ITS JUST NOT WORTH WHAT YOU PAY FOR IT!!!!!

My 2 cents, take it for what its worth!
  • Options
    Pistollero1050Pistollero1050 Member Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I cobbed mine together using fleabay and buying used individual parts. I did not buy a complete conversion kit, just the parts I needed for my calibers. It also helps to have a dillon store near me, so I could take in the old stuff and get new on warrenty. I already had the dies. So your point is well taken.
  • Options
    ButtButt Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with Lee 3 or 4 hole turret press with auto index, Can also use as single stage by removing index bar.
    I set mine up with sizing, decaping dies up on one head use as single stage, 3 dif. size dies. Hand prime, then
    put index bar back in and crank them out. [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Butt
    I would go with Lee 3 or 4 hole turret press with auto index, Can also use as single stage by removing index bar.
    I set mine up with sizing, decaping dies up on one head use as single stage, 3 dif. size dies. Hand prime, then
    put index bar back in and crank them out. [:D][:D][:D]

+1 - I have a LEE classic cast turret and love it. Keep in mind that I "downgraded" from a Dillon 550. Too many operations, too many cases everywhere, not enough hands equalled squib loads.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I use a Dillon 550, I bought it second hand for a big discount and when I needed to replace any part, Dillon will send me the new one FREE of charge, what other company will do that for a second hand machine?

Yes, I'll also agree with the others, the lee progressives are junk, I sell them at my shop and we are constantly getting upset customers back into the store because they can't seem to get the thing to work.
  • Options
    jabies52jabies52 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man some folks love to bash Lee products.If money is no object buy a Dillon If it is Lee will get the job done. I have been using 2 pro 1000s for over 20 years and will be the first to admit they are a bit finicky.They have to be kept clean especially the primer system.I got a Loadmaster a month ago and love it. I set it up using the videos on the Loadmastervideo site and have had no major problems.If your nephew isn't very experienced at reloading the Lee classic turret press would be a very good choice.Kempf Gun Shop has a kit they put together that has every thing he will need ,check out their site.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle

Mine does fine with ball powder, but sucks with stick! Ya I know, no ones make a measure that works perfect for stick powder, but Dillon can do better!!

No one makes a powder that works perfectly with stick powder? The Lee Perfect Powder measure does! I just tried it last night to verify- IMR 4831, dropping a 45 grain charge. Got it dialed in, weighed on my RCBS scale. 45. 45. 45.1. 45. 45. 45.1. Figured that was pretty close to perfect for me.

OTOH, the Lee measure sux big time with ball powder, it leaks right out. But for the cost, having one on hand for stick powder is well worth it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    quote:Originally posted by the middle

Mine does fine with ball powder, but sucks with stick! Ya I know, no ones make a measure that works perfect for stick powder, but Dillon can do better!!

No one makes a powder that works perfectly with stick powder? The Lee Perfect Powder measure does! I just tried it last night to verify- IMR 4831, dropping a 45 grain charge. Got it dialed in, weighed on my RCBS scale. 45. 45. 45.1. 45. 45. 45.1. Figured that was pretty close to perfect for me.

OTOH, the Lee measure sux big time with ball powder, it leaks right out. But for the cost, having one on hand for stick powder is well worth it.

I agree with you that the Lee measure works better than dillon with stick powder (I have both), but, the two lees I have do OK, I still dont trust them enough not to weigh each load.
  • Options
    gknaka2gknaka2 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mbsams
    I make ammo fast with a lee hand press and dippers.

Now that's old school...