In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Resizing 30-06 brass

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
Question 1. I have read that brass to be used in an M1 Garand must be full length sized but not neck sized. Is this info correct? Agree? Disagree?

Question 2. I have also read that brass to be fired in the same bolt action rifle does not need to be full length resized, but should be neck sized only. Is that correct? Agree? Disagree?

If both of the above are true, and seein' as how I reload for both my M1 30-06 and bolt action 30-06, I plan on just keeping the brass seperate and sizing what needs to be sized. Sound like a plan?

Thanks

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Q-1, When you full length size, you automaticly neck size the brass.
    That is why the die has a neck expander in it.

Q-2, Agree mostly. After a few loadings sometimes the shoulder has to be set back to specs. You will know this when the bolt gets harder to close.

Yes keeping your brass seperate is the right plan.

I have AR'S and 223 bolt guns and have boxes labled for them.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes and no.

The Garand will need the Full length.

I still full length my bolt actions too. The bolt can get hard to close otherwise. BUT, I measure shoulder bump with a headspace gauge on my calipers. I try for a .004 push back on my bolt actions. That way it still fits chamber well and easy to cycle bolt. Plus not overworking brass.

Brass stiffness can make a big difference in the measurement too. I had some brass that was 4x fired. Barely could get .003 shoulder push back. Annealed half, then the should would go back .012, that's a lot of change, not sure what the technical name is for metal memory or push back.

I'm sure there are a few different opinions here as well.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    You can full length size for the bolt gun as well if you want. Depending on what you have it may or may not help accuracy to only neck size.

However you must FL size for the semi auto M1.

If you FL for both of them, no need to segregate brass, but if you neck size for the bolt action, then yes, segregate.