In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

RCBS UNIFLOW POWDER MEASURE

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen both a large and small cylinder available for this unit, but I'm not sure if I can use either the large or small cylinders for loading 44 mag pistol loads.

I'm assuming the small cylinder is the only one that will work, but am I wrong? Can the large one be used as well?

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can use the large cylinder for some charges. Once you hit about 10 grains of powder the large cylinder will work fine. Depends on the powder though, really fluffy powders like low loads using Trail Boss you could do just fine with, dense powders like Bullseye, not so much.

You didn't specify which .44 magnum you are using, but we'll presume it is the revolver and not the .44 mag auto. For instance, 25 gr of 4227 with a 210 gr bullet would do just peachy with the large cylinder. 9 gr of Universal with the same bullet would probably require the small cylinder. Etc.
  • Options
    floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're right, I forgot to mention 44 mag revolver.

Sounds like I need the smaller cylinder.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The hole in the "Pistol" cylinder is smaller, so the powder settles into a longer and narrower column. That is more accurate because the area that is "wiped" when you rotate the cylinder is smaller.

If you try to measure small charges with the Rifle cylinder, you end up with a very broad but very shallow reservoir for the powder. Uneven clumping and poor consistency is the result.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.