In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MEC Shot Bar Questions

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I recently bought an older version MEC 650 that came with some old style charge bars. One is marked "410 GA.2 another is marked "12 GA.1". Does anyone have a chart they would be willing to share that decyphers the code. I couldn't find a chart on the MEC web site for older charge bars.

I also received 4 straight sided bushings with the following markings: 12, 13, 265 and 265+. The holes are all on the smaller size and would appear for the 410. The #12 and 13 bushings have obvious reductions to the hole diameters. The 4 fit the powder hole in the 12 GA.1 change bar. There is also an unmarked bushing that fits the shot hole in the charge bar. Is this combination of bushings and bars some intermediate design in between the fixed charge bars and the current design? If correct, does anyone have a chart for the busings they'd share?

I have one other bar that isn't the traditional red color, has small holes (like for a 410) but is unmarked) that I'm not going to ask any questions about.

I have a more current 1/2 oz charge bar (doesn't have the rubber insert for the shot) and most of the bushings MEC sells. Is there any reason to keep the older bars and bushings when I could just buy another one or two charge bars?

Thanks,

Jim

Comments

• Options
    tskrytskry Member Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    give the tech guys at mec a call they would be happy to help you out

1-800-797-4632
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whenever you acquire used bars, weigh the powder and shot charges to verify actually what they do. Mark the bars with electric pencil. Often times previous owner will alter a bar by boring or sleeving in which case the bar # has no validity. Measure and weigh the charges yourself.
  • Options
    Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 410 #2 bar should drop 1/2 Oz of shot and 15 grains of Hercules 2400. The 12 ga #1 bar should drop 1 1/8 oz of shot and 21 grains of Red Dot or Green Dot or 23 grains of PB. These should be checked with a scale to be sure the bars have not been modified.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Jim is right on the money, it pays to check with a scale.
    W.D.